We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a Summer Vacation in August

Chino, California
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Planning a Summer Vacation in August

We are planning to go to Alaska this August arriving in Anchorage. It will be for 8 days and 7 nights. I don't have a clue how to plan this trip. We did the Cruise about 6 years ago and wanted to explore Alaska by land to see all the wonders of nature the state has to offer. My family is into nature, majestic views and my husband is into photography. No long hikes or kayaking, just laid back activities so we can enjoy picturesque Alaska. We will be renting a car so anything goes.

At this point I don't mind if you can give me a day by day itinerary covering what you think will be best. Add in accommodation suggestions would be great. It will be for 2 family of four with 2 16 year old and an 11 year old. Our departure point will still be in Anchorage.

Thanks

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,095 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a Summer Vacation in August

No need to start another post.....You already have responses to your first one.....

tripadvisor.com/…56377707

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a Summer Vacation in August

Actually, it looks like Rogcastro was asked to start a new thread rather than hijack the OPs ;)

Here's Rogicastro's post in that thread:

-------------------------------------------------------

HELLO. I'm planning our summer vacation and visiting Alaska is # 1 on our list. I am clueless as to which of the many many attractions Alaska has to offer will be my priority to visit. Please check if my itinerary planned below is doable. I would like a slower pace itinerary for I really want to enjoy Alaska without rushing and stressing on time. I don't want come back from a vacation needing another vacation. Please give me the must-see attractions while driving to Denali. So here's what I have so far.

Day 1 : Arrive at night in Anchorage,

Day 2: Enjoy local attractions of Anchorage,

Day 3: Drive to Seward ( Do I need to stay overnight?) If not I want to drive back to Anchorage to spend a night.

Day 4 to Day 6:: From Anchorage, head on to Denali National Park (Suggested stops please).

Day 7 Drive back to Anchorage and stay 1 night.

Day 8: Fly back home. I can add a day or two if need be. It is for August this year. Thanks :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Most of us would say to get out of Anchorage on Day 2 to see the rest of Alaska! Yes, you need to spend the night in Seward, not as a day trip from Anchorage.

Day 1 Anchorage (what time does your flight land- as that will determine lodging recommendations?)

Day 2 Seward

Day 3 Seward - Kenai Fjords 6+ hour sea life cruise

Day 4 Drive from Seward to Girdwood or Anchorage to spend the night

Day 5 Drive to Denali - stop at Denali view south & north as well as veteran's memorial

Day 6 Denali Shuttle bus to Wonder Lake

Day 7 Denali dog sled demo, hikes at entrance, visitor center

Day 8 Drive back to Anchorage

Day 9 flight out

So adding 1 day would be great. I take it you don't have your flights if you can add a day. Get flights & secure a rental car that can be changed if rates get lower.

Once you have flights, let us know when. Then we can help with details like lodging.

Are you interested in a flightseeing tour of Mt McKinley with perhaps a glacier landing? You could do that at Talkeenta on the way to Denali with a backup day for weather on Day 8.

With 2 families of 4, you will need to get lodging ASAP.

Edited: 27 February 2014, 14:31
haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,095 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a Summer Vacation in August

ooops, you're right Cat......hadn't had my coffee yet......

Rogicastro, it looks like you were already given some good advice......enough to get you started with your own rough itinerary, so that you can return to this post with specific questions......

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,878 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a Summer Vacation in August

If you have time, you might want to add a raft trip - your kids would probably love it! I always recommend Denali Outdoor center for our area. :)

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,557 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a Summer Vacation in August

Generally I like denalicat's itinerary. But I would make a couple of changes:

Day 1 Anchorage (what time does your flight land- as that will determine lodging recommendations?)

Day 2 Seward

**take your time driving to Seward. Lots to do/see along Turnagain Arm, Girdwood, Portage Valley.

Day 3 Seward - Kenai Fjords 6+ hour sea life cruise

Day 4 Drive from Seward to Girdwood or Anchorage to spend the night

** It would be a bit longer, but I would drive to the Matanuska Glacier area (figure 6 hours from Seward). Spend the night and take a glacier trek with Mica Guides the morning of Day 5, then drive to Denali.

Day 5 Drive to Denali - stop at Denali view south & north as well as veteran's memorial

Day 6 Denali Shuttle bus to Wonder Lake

Day 7 Denali dog sled demo, hikes at entrance, visitor center

** great day here for the rafting too

Day 8 Drive back to Anchorage

** you could do the glacier hike this day - drive to Matanuska and do the glacier hike late this afternoon or the next morning.

Day 9 flight out

The departure time of your flight on Day 9 is key to your plans and what else you can do.

Chino, California
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning a Summer Vacation in August

Thank you all for helping out a rookie in Trip Advisor. We will definitely consider fti/denalicat's suggestions.

Now that we have a day by day location set, I can do my research for our lodging. BTW the flight we will book will arrive in Anchorage at 11:30 pm so we definitely have our first night at Anchorage. Again thanks, :):)

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning a Summer Vacation in August

Seward lodging:

cmdev.seward.com/list/QL/where-to-stay-28.htm

Denali area:

http://www.a1cms.com/_dcc/accommodations/

8. Re: Planning a Summer Vacation in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2015, 05:19