We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with forest service cabin

Aitkin, Minnesota...
13 posts
Save Topic
Help with forest service cabin

Honeymoon august 12 and 13th looking to atay in cabin after our cruisetour. Now we have 2 nights in Fairbanks open and we would love to stay at a remote cabin like one of the following:

http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/cabins/north.htm

Need help figuring it the closest to airport and best known. We would probably have to rent a vehicle or cab to get there?????

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,557 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with forest service cabin

It looks like a couple of them are only accessible/usable in the winter (late Sep to early/mid May). So that leaves the ones in the Chena River State Recreation Area. You really should have a rental car. A cab will cost you a fortune and to get one to pick you up could be difficult.

You do realize that these are "dry" cabins with basic amenities. You will need sleeping bags, pads, water, etc.

I contemplated going to one of the Chena River SRA cabins last September, but I ended up backcountry camping in Denali NP instead. Perhaps it will happen this coming summer. For me, the draw is the remoteness but also the hiking options.

Which cruisetour are you on? I trust it spends 2 nights in Denali NP and includes the Tundra Wilderness Tour, not the Natural History Tour.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,094 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with forest service cabin

I don't know anything about these cabins, but just googled "remote cabin, fairbanks" and this one came up quickly....

http://www.trailheadcabins.com/.htm

Looks like you can drive to it and you wouldn't need to bring camping equipment.....

rental car would be a lot better than a taxi cab....less expensive and it would give you more freedom

Edited: 01 March 2014, 15:04
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
11,409 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with forest service cabin

Kayla,

Readers/posters will find it easiest if you keep all your questions in one thread. I suggest that you keep using your 1st one (25 yr old active cruise, etc. thread)

Tks

Aitkin, Minnesota
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with forest service cabin

Thanks! My fiance Kayla and I will look into this!

5. Re: Help with forest service cabin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 March 2015, 06:16