We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on Draft Itinerary for two weeks in Rv.

sydney
Level Contributor
222 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on Draft Itinerary for two weeks in Rv.

Hi ,

Starting to put together a draft itinerary would appreciate any thought/suggestions.

Our main focus is to see wildlife…the bigger the better.

Have booked the cruises and Denali 3 nights and overnight at Lake Clarke.

We are an Australian family with 3 kids 12-14 travelling end of June/July for 4 weeks .

We are starting with a weeks Princess cruise Vancouver to Whittier.

Then travelling via RV for 2 weeks. Followed by a Celebrity cruise out of Seward back to Vancouver.

I am yet to work out our cruise excursions …any advice welcomed.

This is a rough plan for the Rv travel.

28/6 : Leave Cruise - Whittier -some how get to Anchorage to collect RV.

Drive to somewhere near Talkeetna….

29/6 : Drive to Denali- have booked 3 nights at Tek campground.

2/7 : Drive the Denali Highway…..find a spot to stay overnight.

3/7 : Drive to near Chickaloon …not sure how long it will take…if time Whitewater Rafting with Nova, afternoon session

4/7 : Drive to Seward….not sure if this is too far in a day…I assume this weekend will be busy

5/7 : Seward- maybe Kayaking or boat trip…need advice…on best tour to see whales….

6/7 : Morning in Seward …walk Exit Glacier drive to Soldotno

7/7: Leave RV and fly to Silver Salmon Lodge for overnight stay- Booked

8/7 : Return from Lodge…..drive to Coopers Landing

9/7 : Drive to Hope

10/7: Drive to Girdwood

11/7: Drive to Anchorage drop off RV …somehow get to Seward to board Cruise

Is this achievable ? Haven’t included Homer ??? Suggestions for what not to miss in the places we are going ..flexible on changing if I've missed something ... booked only a week ago so haven't had a lot of research time.

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,762 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on Draft Itinerary for two weeks in Rv.

A couple of quick thoughts:

You'll be going right by the Matanuska Glacier. I personally would spend sometime there.

Seward on the 4th of July is a mad house. The little town of 3,000 people explodes into a party of 30,000 people.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on Draft Itinerary for two weeks in Rv.

For transport options from Whittier to Anchorage, if you go to the Whittier forum there is a Top Question with some of your choices.

Pick up groceries & supplies in Anchorage after you get your RV. Fred Meyers or SuperWalmart are the best choices for getting most anything you might need.

Take a look at the 1st of the top revolving pictures of what Seward will look like for the 4th of July Mt Marathon run:

http://www.seward.com

It is packed!

A interesting option would be to do Seward last, after your Silver Salmon Lodge, leave the rest of the family in Seward & 1 adult drive the RV back to Anchorage, taking the transfer shuttle, train or bus back to Seward. That might not be what you had in mine, though!

Edited: 08 March 2014, 18:39
sydney
Level Contributor
222 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on Draft Itinerary for two weeks in Rv.

thank you , re Matanuska Glacier. , the rafting with Nova where we hope to go to and stay the night ,I believe is near there..will investigate more .

sydney
Level Contributor
222 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on Draft Itinerary for two weeks in Rv.

Thank you for the travel option idea, will run it by my husband. As the only car company we can find that lets one way has a minimum 3 day hire, and the other transport for 5 is very expensive .

sydney
Level Contributor
222 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on Draft Itinerary for two weeks in Rv.

2nd try at RV Itinerary

28/6 : Leave Cruise - Whittier -transfer to Anchorage to collect RV.

Drive to somewhere near Talkeetna….still not sure where...Any suggestions?

29/6 : Drive to Denali- have booked 3 nights at Tek campground.

2/7 : Drive the Denali Highway…..find a spot to stay overnight, depending on how far we drive

3/7 : Drive to Matanuska glacier area / Afternoon Rafting Nova via Glenn Hwy

4/7 :Drive toThe Williwaw Nature Trail/ Trail of Blue Ice, spend night at Granite Creek Campground- site 9

5/7 :Drive to Hope..overnight PORCUPINE Campsite - Site 33

6/7 : drive towards Soldotno ....finding it hard to work out where to stay

7/7: Leave RV and fly to Silver Salmon Lodge for overnight stay- Booked

8/7 : Return from Lodge…..drive to Kenai /Coopers Landing area ....do you think I need to book ?

9/7 : Drive Seward

10/7: Northwestern Fjord tour 9am

11/7: My Husband will Drive to Anchorage drop off RV , the rest of the family will stay…he will get transfer to Seward to board Cruise. Not sure where we can leave luggage for the day before we board.

Again any suggestions are welcomed . Thanks again for all the help so far.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on Draft Itinerary for two weeks in Rv.

For Talkeetna there is a RV park (full RV hook-ups!)in town that needs reservations:

http://www.talkeetnacamper.com

Before you drive to Tek CG, go to the dog sled demo:

nps.gov/dena/…sled-dog-demonstrations.htm

Have you gotten TEK shuttle bus passes with your Teklanika Campground reservations!??! Be sure to stop at Riley Creek Mercantile at the sewer dump station to dump & fill up with water!!

On the Denali Hwy there are 2 rustic campgrounds- we've enjoyed both- Brushkana CG or Tangle Lakes CG:

blm.gov/ak/…denali_highway_points.html

For Matanuska Glacier, Grand View RV park (full RV hook-ups & dump station!)is perfect for your overnight- get reservations:

http://www.grandviewrv.com

Glad you have reservations for the 4th of July weekend! Granite Creek CG & Porcupine CG are nice. At Porcupine, be sure to hike out Gull Rock trail with the beautiful views!

In Soldotna, I would recommend a reservation at a RV park with full hook-ups & sewer. It's nice to have full hook-ups after a couple of days of roughing it "dry" camping.

http://www.klondikervpark.com

campgroundsalaska.com/soldotna/soldotnarvpar…

goodsamclub.com/travel/…

I would recommend reservations at Cooper Landing for July 8.

Russian River Campground is lovely & has openings that you could grab:

reserveamerica.com/camping/…

For Seward, drive down early to get a spot with electric at the Seward waterfront campground.

And then a cruise! What a marvelous trip!!!!

Edited: 16 March 2014, 14:31
sydney
Level Contributor
222 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on Draft Itinerary for two weeks in Rv.

Again thank you so much,

Do you think we can risk not booking Talkeetna....happy not have hook up.

I'm sure the kids will love the dog sled demo. Yes have booked TEK shuttle passes, thanks.

Near Matanuska Glacier we are able to stay at the rafting site

Still looking at Soldotna....

not sure which Russian River site to pick. Will post on the Coopers Landing forum.

I have ordered the Milepost Book that has been recommended so looking forward to reading it.

Do you know of anywhere we can leave the luggage for a few hours in Seward before we board, while returning the RV to Anchorage?

Cheers

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice on Draft Itinerary for two weeks in Rv.

If you look at the Milepost, there are all kinds of campgrounds along the Parks Hwy if Talkeetna is full: Montana Creek campground, Trapper Ck RV, Denali View South & North campgrounds, even my favorite (FREE) East Fork Chulitna Wayside camping. Broad Pass summit has beautiful free pull-offs but right next to the highway.

www.milepost.com/highway_info/parks_highway

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice on Draft Itinerary for two weeks in Rv.

Someone should be able to tell you how to check your luggage in Seward for your cruise.....

sydney
Level Contributor
222 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice on Draft Itinerary for two weeks in Rv.

Thanks again ...we like free and also not being right beside other people .

I'm looking forward to reading the Milepost.