We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train or Car Rental from Anchorage to Denali

California
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Train or Car Rental from Anchorage to Denali

We are planning a trip in July/August this year. We've never been to Alaska. Should we take the train or rent a car? I understand the train is a lot longer trip, but maybe more scenic? Would there be a lot of traffic this time of year if we drove?

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,859 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train or Car Rental from Anchorage to Denali

Welcome to the Alaska forum.

I strongly suggest that you read the FIRST TIME POSTERS thread that is pinned to the top of the Alaska forum. We really need more info - for example, who is "we" - two adults? five people with small children?

Also, what is your entire itinerary and how much time do you have. It is hard to answer your question about train vs. car for Denali when we have no idea what else you are planning when there. Do you fly into and out of Anchorage?

Generally most of us recommend driving over the train. Faster, more chances to stop for sightseeing, photos, etc., more flexibility for lodging and dining when near Denali, option to drive the first 15 miles of the park road if interested are just some of the reasons.

Edited: 16 March 2014, 21:44
Mentioned in this post
California
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Train or Car Rental from Anchorage to Denali

We are two adults, on our honeymoon. We are cruising and disembarking in Whittier. We'd like to see Denali and plan on staying at the Princess Wilderness Lodge. If you could also recommend a tour vs. a shuttle (and which one) that would also be very helpful. Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,308 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train or Car Rental from Anchorage to Denali

How many days do you plan to be in Denali? I would get a rental car - take the train to Anchorage after your cruise to pick up your reserved rental car. I would plan/book the shuttle bus. I think I would choose a more intimate lodge for my honeymoon than the Princess lodge personally. What is your nightly budget? :)

Mentioned in this post
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,859 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train or Car Rental from Anchorage to Denali

Thanks for responding with more info.

Besides how many nights in Denali is that the only place you are going to after the cruise?

Maybe give us the date you arrive im Whittier and date/time yiu fky out - and which city you fly out of.

Re: tour vs. shuttle. Hands down a shuttle. Goes further rhan Tundra tour, cheaper and more flexible - spend more time at Eielson visitor center or hop off the bus to hike. If you call to book your third day on the shuttle is free.

Mentioned in this post
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
12,431 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train or Car Rental from Anchorage to Denali

I prefer car for similar reasons mentioned previously. I've taken the train to Denali and I've driven and the scenery each way is a little different (not much IMO); but neither route reveals scenery that is less amazing than the other.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train or Car Rental from Anchorage to Denali

Although I'm a big fan of Princess, I think you will be dissapointed with the Denali Princess Lodge. High prices and small rooms. I would stay somewhere else their property at Mt McKinley Lodge is better and a nice stopover on the way to Denali. We will be there for two nights in July and got it at $134 per night, not a bad price.

We have done the Tundra Wilderness and Natural History tours, and after advise on this forum got smart and did one of the shuttles last summer. Glad we did.

7. Re: Train or Car Rental from Anchorage to Denali

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2015, 05:18