We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Edmonton to Anchorage at end of April

Dallas
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Edmonton to Anchorage at end of April

My 19 year old son and I will be driving from Edmonton to Anchorage at end of April (actually starting from Dallas but I'm thinking to Edmonton should be a breeze and this is a Canada forum, after all).

I will be driving a 14' box truck with a vehicle ON a trailer.

This is my first time doing anything like this and I would appreciate any advice and recommendations. Unfortunately this is not a sightseeing trip. How long will that trip take me?

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Edmonton
Edmonton
Alberta, Canada
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,900 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Edmonton to Anchorage at end of April

Actually, this isn't a Canadian forum - it is the Alaska forum. You may want to post on the Canadian forum since most of the length of your drive will be thru Canada.

April is not the best time - it is known as our breakup - you will possibly still see some winter, so do be prepared for that.

Need up to date passports and get a copy of the Milepost - it is a wonderful resource and necessity for driving up to Alaska thru Canada.

How many hours a day do you want to drive? You could probably do it in less than 4 days from Edmonton, but that is a lot of driving and doesn't factor in much else.

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Edmonton
Edmonton
Alberta, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
64,325 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Edmonton to Anchorage at end of April

[I actually replied on the Can Forum and suggested the OP also post here to catch the regulars at the AK end of things. He's just copied and pasted the text.] It's already paid off! :-))

Edited: 21 March 2014, 02:27
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,900 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Edmonton to Anchorage at end of April

Thanks for the explanation . . . though it isn't the first time someone has us confused with Canada or somewhere else. Glad he got help on the Canadian forum. :)

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
6,255 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Edmonton to Anchorage at end of April

Definitely have a copy of the Milepost. www.TheMilepost.com .

Driving the Alcan is often discussed at the City-Data forum for Alaska. You might also do some research there: http://www.city-data.com/forum/alaska/

The closer you get to Alaska the scarcer services become. Plan your fuel stops carefully. You will not get cell phone coverage over large areas.

Oh, and be sure and eat at Fast Eddy's in Tok.

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Tok
Tok
Alaska
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,902 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Edmonton to Anchorage at end of April

If either of you have a DUI you will probabky have issues entering Canada just so you know.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Edmonton to Anchorage at end of April

It took us 6 days to move from NM to Anchorage with a uhaul truck towing a vehicle on a trailer & driving another vehicle.

My husband hit weather in April driving down which stopped he & other drivers for several hours while a pass was cleared.

As soon as we enter Canada, we buy a disposable canadian cell phone at the first truck stop.

The Milepost is a must.

Some suggestions for this Cassiar-Alcan trip might pertain to you too:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12567-k7277840…

Edited: 21 March 2014, 13:39
Mentioned in this post
USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Edmonton to Anchorage at end of April

Any pets? If so they need current vet paperwork declaring heath & updated shots.

Edited: 21 March 2014, 13:41
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
12,461 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Edmonton to Anchorage at end of April

Have a spare tire. Check road reports with state/provinces. Fill up when you see a gas station.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,134 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Edmonton to Anchorage at end of April

Also do not expect to drive the posted speed limits......some parts of the Alcan are frost-heaved and you really need to slow down in those sections......also in any gravel sections as you will send gravel flying into oncoming traffic as well as those behind you......make sure whatever is on that trailer is tied down tight.....some stretches of road can really get you bouncing........

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from Edmonton to Anchorage at end of April

fti brings up a very interesting point regarding the DUI. Fortunately we don't have that problem. But, how do Alaskans that do have a DUI on their record travel to the lower 48 without having to fly? No where else in travelling from state to state is such a problem, but to travel from Alaska to another state is a problem. This doesn't seem fair.

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States