We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this Itinerary doable?

Merced, California
Level Contributor
177 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Is this Itinerary doable?

DH and I are in the early early phase of planning a +/- 10 day trip for May/June 2015. It will just be the 2 of us, ages ~45. We took a cruise last year to Juneau, Glacier Bay, Sitka, and Ketchikan. DH spent 3.5 years on a coast guard cutter patrolling Alaskan waters, so has been to many of the coastal towns with CG bases, but has not been to the Interior. Our interests are photography and to do some hiking, up to ~ 4 -6 mile day hikes. Nothing too extreme. I understand Alaskan distance doesn't equal 60miles per hour, especially with stopping for pics every few miles, so is this itinerary doable? When is the Denali Highway typically drivable? Everything is flexible at this point.

Day 1 fly into fairbanks, rent an SUV, stay overnight

Day 2 drive to Healy, check in B&B, check out Denali visitor center, book shuttle, hike around visitor's center

Day 3 ride shuttle roundtrip to Wonder lake with photo stops and short hikes

Day 4 Hike Mt Healy

Day 5 take Denali Highway to Paxton and stay overnight in Copper Center. Yes, I know it's a rough road. We offroad in places like Moab, Utah so are prepared for rough terrain.

Day 6 take the Glennallen Highway, hike around Matanuska Glacier, stay overnight in Anchorage

Day 7 take the Seward Highway to Seward and stay overnight

Day 8 Boat trip to Kenai Fjords, stay overnight in Seward

Day 9 Take train to Whittier and do Phillip's 26 Glaciers tour, stay overnight in Anchorage

Day 10 fly home

I am open to suggestions!

Mentioned in this post
Juneau
Juneau
Alaska
Sitka
Sitka
Alaska
Denali Highway
Denali Highway
90 Reviews
Alaska
Healy
Healy
Denali National Park and Preserve, AK
Denali Visitor Center
Denali Visitor Center
1,289 Reviews
Wonder Lake
Wonder Lake
252 Reviews
Matanuska Glacier
Matanuska Glacier
405 Reviews
Alaska
Seward Highway
Seward Highway
134 Reviews
Alaska
Seward
Seward
Alaska
Kenai
Kenai
Alaska
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
12,375 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this Itinerary doable?

I don't think you'll get a one-way rental from Fairbanks to Seward that is allowed on the Denali Hwy.

Mentioned in this post
Seward
Seward
Alaska
Denali
Denali
2,178 Reviews
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,810 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this Itinerary doable?

Even if you return the rental in Anchirage it will be tough finding a company that will allow the Denali Hwy.

Also I assume you know you will pay hundreds of dollars in a one-way drop fee over and above the car rental price.

No train from Seward to Whittier as you imply. I would just drive ti Whittier and skip the train. Same route; savesbtime and lets you stop at will.

Mentioned in this post
Denali
Denali
2,178 Reviews
Seward
Seward
Alaska
Merced, California
Level Contributor
177 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this Itinerary doable?

I was looking at the train between Girwood and Whittier rather than driving through the one lane tunnel. But looking at the extra cost, yeah, we'll probably drive it.

Can I rent an SUV roundtrip out of Anchorage? Fromer's says High Country Car and Truck Rentals will allow you to drive the Denali Highway. My copy is a few years old though so maybe that's changed?

Edit: nevermind. I found their rental policy online and it specifically says not allowed on the Denali Highway, so my copy of Fromer's is wrong. thanks anyway.

Edited: 21 March 2014, 06:27
Mentioned in this post
Denali Highway
Denali Highway
90 Reviews
Alaska
USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this Itinerary doable?

Here is a Top Question regarding vehicles allowed on Denali Hwy:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60880-i350-k60341…

Mentioned in this post
Denali
Denali
2,178 Reviews
Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this Itinerary doable?

Actually better to drive through the tunnel as the toll is $12 round-trip. The train is something like $65 one-way per person. Not only that you have to depend on their schedule. The train fare from Anchorage is the same.

Mentioned in this post
New Braunfels, Texas
Level Contributor
281 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is this Itinerary doable?

Driving from Girdwood to Whittier is no big deal. Check the tunnel schedule for times, so you don't end up ther with a long wait. THere's a nice place to stop at Portage Lake on the way also, for some additional scenery.

Mentioned in this post
Girdwood
Girdwood
Anchorage, AK
7. Re: Is this Itinerary doable?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2015, 04:35