We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alaska cruise tour + want to add 3 night package in Seward

nebraska
Level Contributor
12 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Alaska cruise tour + want to add 3 night package in Seward

Hi!

I have been researching and I have not found a train or bus that would take us from Seward directly to Fairbanks. Everything I see, you have to stop in Anchorage for the night then go on to Seward. I saw there is a shuttle service (van) but I think you have to have 7 people in your group possibly? But again I don't see that it will go to Seward - Fairbanks. We don't want to rent a car.

We (my husband & I) want to spend 3 nights in Seward so he can go Halibut fishing and then we want to take the Fjords tour then next day, then was hoping not to have to spend another night before we meet everyone in our group for the land portion of our cruise tour. Which we will be spending 2 night in Fairbanks, 2 nights in Denali and 2 nights in Mt McKinley. Any help would be appreciated.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,545 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alaska cruise tour + want to add 3 night package in Seward

No way that I know of to get from Seward to Fairbanks the same day if you are taking a Kenai Fjords cruise the same day. Even if you had the 8am KF cruise that ends about 2pm, how do you get to Anchorage?

By far the best/quickest way from Anchorage to Fairbanks will be to fly with Alaska Airlines. But the key is how to get from Seward to Anchorage.

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,388 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alaska cruise tour + want to add 3 night package in Seward

FTI... you know how they can easily get from Seward to Anc and even to Fairbanks in one day!! waves hand ;)

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,139 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alaska cruise tour + want to add 3 night package in Seward

You might want to contact PJ Taxis in Seward and see if they would pick you up from Fairbanks. I know they do runs between Anchorage and Seward, but not sure about all the way to Fairbanks. Check them out here:

http://www.pjstaxi.com/

Worth a shot to email or call them. Many on the forum have reported positively about this company. I just never heard of them going to Fairbanks. If they do it, it would likely be very costly, so you will have to decide how much it would worth it to you? Seward is a great little town and well worth spending time there. I hope your plans work out for you.

I know you did not ask about your land tour, but are you aware that your "2 nights in Mt. McKinley" will be in a rather remote area with not much to do. You can take shuttles to Talkeetna and there will be a few tours available. Some people don't mind having a "resting stop," but others want to be more on the go. If this suits you fine, then no problem. However, many tourists have been disappointed because they did not realize what this stop was. If this is not want you want, you may still be able to swap out for another tour. The Mt. McKinley stop is actually about 100 miles from Denali. I think Talkeetna is about an hour bus ride, but I stand to be corrected if that is not correct.

Also are you aware of the various tours that go into Denail?. Does your crusietour include the Natural History Tour or the Tundra Wilderness Tour? There is a VAST difference between the two. The Tundra Wilderness Tour gets you MUCH further into the park. The Natural History Tour only gets you two miles further than you can drive or take a free bus to. Anyone who is going to Denali usually wants to get into the depths of its wilderness. You need the TWT tour to experience this. In the past, Princess has let their customers upgrade to the TWT. Others request a refund and then book a shuttle that will go even further than the TWT and will cost less. Hopefully you already know all this, but in case you don't, I thought I would make you aware of some things that many people have no idea about and then are most disappointed about.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,545 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alaska cruise tour + want to add 3 night package in Seward

Great thoughts from happytraveler above.

Actually though you are going from Seward to Fairbanks, not reverse. But still, at the least PJ's Taxi can take you from Seward to Anchorage. There is a flight at 11.20pm arriving Fairbanks 12.18am that would probably be your best shot at getting from Seward to Fairbanks in one day. Something like $150/person for the flight and I think something like $200-$300 total for the taxi from Seward to Anchorage.

nebraska
Level Contributor
12 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alaska cruise tour + want to add 3 night package in Seward

Thank you! I didn't know what to expect with the 2 days at Mt Mckinley, but I want to do the flightseeing tour going over the mountain & lands on the glacier. I still am looking for a company that either offers a pickup at the hotel and will bring us back after the flightseeing tour. (any thoughts about that?) I would rather be in Talkeetna but Princess doesn't have that as an option.

Still trying to figure out the best options......

nebraska
Level Contributor
12 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alaska cruise tour + want to add 3 night package in Seward

Yes I was wanting Seward to Fairbanks. I will do some more research. Maybe change up the cruise tour to only 2 nights in Fairbanks and 2 nights in Denali. And we can spend our 3 nights in Seward then 1 night in Anchorage then take the train to Talkeetna for 1 night then bus or train to Fairbanks.

So many choices and things to do.

We are upgrading to the Tundra Tour in Denali.

Thanks for all your help!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,600 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alaska cruise tour + want to add 3 night package in Seward

I wouldn't do a tour in Denali - I would reserve a shuttle bus to Eielson or Wonder Lake instead - see more for a much cheaper price - here is some more detailed info:

www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/shuttles.htm

8. Re: Alaska cruise tour + want to add 3 night package in Seward

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2015, 05:16