We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help with fine tuning itinerary

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Topic
help with fine tuning itinerary

We are arriving Anchorage 5/29. Renting a car for the week. Staying first 2 nights in Anchorage. Sat 5/31 drive to Denali with stop in Talkeetna. 2 nights in Denali at Grande Denali Lodge. Take the shuttle in the park on Sun. 6/1. Drive to Girdwood on Mon. 6/2. Spend night at Alyeska Lodge. Tues. 6/3 drive to Seward. Plan to take the Kenai Fjord Nat. Park tour with Major Marine. Also plan to visit Exit Glacier and Alaska Sealife Center. Drive back to Alyeska Lodge and spend the night. Wed. 6/4 drive to Whittier and take the Prince William Sound Glacier tour. Drive back to Anchorage and spend the night. Thurs. 6/5 8am flight to Juneau arriving at 9:30. Rent a car and spend the day. Take the 6:30pm ferry to Petersburg arriving 6:45am on Fri. 6/6. We are in Petersburg for a wedding on Sat.6/7. Flying back home Tues. 6/10.

I am questioning whether we will have enough time in Seward to do the planned activities in one day and then drive back to Girdwood. I thought Girdwood would be a good stopping point driving from Denali. Didn't want to stay there one night and checkout early morning for drive to Seward and then check in to different hotel. Cruise ends at 5:30 and the Sealife center is open until 9. Any suggestions? The other question is our time in Juneau. We have rented a car for the one day. Can't find a way to see Tracy Arm Fjord because tours leave too early. Will we be able to see it from the ferry to Petersburg? What else would be possible for the time we have?

Any suggestions for our itinerary would be appreciated. We are 59 and 62. Not interested in a lot of hiking. Mainly interested in seeing wildlife and the scenery. We know someone who has a boat in Petersburg so will probably fish there. Probably wont spend the money on a glacier flight. We did the glacier landing in New Zealand. Thanks for any help.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
8,641 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help with fine tuning itinerary

Rather than drive back to Alyeska Hotel in Girdwood have you considered an overnight at Seward instead? Sure is cheaper there than that high rise hotel

Duluth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
5,051 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help with fine tuning itinerary

As i read your post my first thought was " no way does that Seward schedule work". Driving there and back for the KF tour is a long day... I suppose you could pop in the Sealife center for an hour, but that would be a shame as it deserves much more time to appreciate. And even the short walk at Exit demands a couple hours imho.

Adding a night/morning in Seward is a good idea for sure.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: help with fine tuning itinerary

If I add a night in Seward then will probably not be able to do glacier boat trip in Whittier. Is that the better choice to spend more time in Seward and not go to Whittier?

Duluth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
5,051 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help with fine tuning itinerary

I havent done theWhittier cruise... The common thinking is that it's more a glacier tour, while Kenai Fijords will have more wildlife. As a town Seward has much more to offer, and it does seem a shame to do a quick in n out there.

For my money, if thats the only place you can steal the time from, then yes, i'd skip Whittier.

But thats just me...:)

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help with fine tuning itinerary

I second skipping Whittier for Seward. You can get a long boat ride in Seward and get to sit next to a glacier for a good long time (Northwestern) and that way you get wildlife and glaciers. The only reason that I'd think otherwise would be if you had someone extremely sea sick/motion sickness sensitive. In that case, I'd skip the boat ride in Seward for the one in Whittier, but only if it was extreme even with meds (lots of people say they get sick and then when you ask if they ever tried it with meds, they say no- that's not what I call getting sea sick. The patch can work wonders). Otherwise, skip Whittier, spend a night in Seward.

I would break up the drive from Denali with Girdwood, though. Then, you can make stops and not feel tired from all the driving. Still a long drive. Girdwood is going to be supper and bed for you if you make any stops at all (6-7 hour drive). Just toss some things into one small bag and leave the rest in the car that night. No worries about it getting stolen from a trunk up here. Then you won't feel like you are toting so much in and out.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: help with fine tuning itinerary

I have revised my itinerary . Monday we will drive to Girdwood and spend night at Alyeska Lodge. I know this is a long drive but I would rather get closer to Seward. Tuesday we will drive to Seward and visit Exit Glacier and Alaska Sealife Center. Spend the night in Seward at Holiday Inn Express. Wed. we will take the Northwestern Fjord Tour which is 9am to 6. Will then drive back to Anchorage and spend the night before leaving at 8am for Juneau. Any thoughts?

Is Anchorage worth a whole day or is there something else we should plan?

Is there anything we should see in Girdwood before our drive to Seward?

Anything else to see in Seward besides Exit Glacier and Sealife Center? Is Cooper Landing out of the way on the drive from Girdwood to Seward?

Still wondering about the flight to Juneau and ferry to Petersburg. Is this a good plan or should we fly from Anchorage to Petersburg? Could we see Tracy Arm Fjord? What could we do in Juneau with a rental car for a few hours?

Thanks for any help.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: help with fine tuning itinerary

Only stay 1 night in Anchorage at the beginning of your trip. Take that extra night & spend 2 nights in Seward. IMHO It is too much to take a 9 hr day cruise & then drive the Seward highway back to Anchorage that evening.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,293 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: help with fine tuning itinerary

Anchorage...

Anchorage is well worth anytime you want to spend there; but the rest of Alaska is better. I think you should make sure you get all you want to get done in the rest of AK first and if you've time available at the end of your trip, then spend that in Anchorage.

9. Re: help with fine tuning itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2015, 05:16