We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideal vaca 14 days in Alaska

Sullivan, Missouri
Level Contributor
74 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Ideal vaca 14 days in Alaska

Submit your ideal vaca in Alaska for 14 full days, will be flying into FAI. Will have a SUV and RV. Love anything outdoors, nature, wildlife & adventuros. Would like to be in a great location for northern lights viewing.

Duluth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
5,132 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideal vaca 14 days in Alaska

Whats your timeframe? Makes a LOT of difference...

Sullivan, Missouri
Level Contributor
74 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideal vaca 14 days in Alaska

Opps sorry forgot dates the last week in August & first in September.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,547 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ideal vaca 14 days in Alaska

What happened to the info in your other post? Didn't want to continue on from there??

Duluth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
5,132 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ideal vaca 14 days in Alaska

Well, you asked for my ideal 2 weeks:) I'd do a quick couple days in Denali, stop at Talkeetna and do a flightseeing/glacier landing, and then put my waders on and not take them off for the rest of the trip! OK, maybe while I was on a boat or 2...

I'd drive to Seward, and go on a ling/halibut combo with Crackerjack. Then do a small boat Kenai Fijords tour with Saltwater lodge.

Then on to Cooper landing... a couple days fishing silvers in the Russian, maybe a drift boat in the refuge for big fall rainbows.

Down to Soldotna. Silvers in the lower Kenai with Fenton brothers.

Then a flyout over to one of several rivers across cook inlet for some more silvers on the fly.

On to Homer...a bear viewing flight, maybe an overnight. Another halibut trip with Big Bear (been meaning to try them...)

I haven't been counting the days...might need a little adjustment.

And I skipped several VERY expensive multi day trips to Bristol bay...a couple weeks too late for kings:)

Hey, you asked for MY ideal couple weeks, right?

Sullivan, Missouri
Level Contributor
74 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ideal vaca 14 days in Alaska

@coalminer, No just the opposite I got a lot of great ideals; Teklanika campground, talkeetna, & mantanuska glacier. I just was looking for any other ideals.

Sullivan, Missouri
Level Contributor
74 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ideal vaca 14 days in Alaska

@Mnman definitely can't miss Denali, talkeetna. Great ideals in Seward thanks for the guides also Cracker Jack and Seawater Lodge seems great. Any stops bw Denali and Seward?

Duluth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
5,132 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ideal vaca 14 days in Alaska

This is my first time to Denali, so the first time up the parks highway. There are a bunck of good rivers along there, but we'll be pretty early in June...not much happening but rainbows. I can fish bows here at home, so I try to chase salmon when I'm in AK.

During your timeframe, there should be salmon in some of those rivers; check with a couple guides in the talkeetna area. IfishAlaska is one, fishermans choice is one to avoid.

I hope to poke around those rivers a little and get the lay of the land....theres always next time:)

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ideal vaca 14 days in Alaska

MNman, check out Montana Creek, although they've had to close for kings lately. We've camped there & the hubby has fished:

http://www.montanacreekcampground.com

Duluth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
5,132 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ideal vaca 14 days in Alaska

Thanks DC, Montana will be on the list of rivers to check out. How much time i'll get to scout is open for debate, and unfortunatly , my girls outnumber me 3 to 1 this trip:)

Of course, i'm driving the bus, so we'll see !

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,547 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ideal vaca 14 days in Alaska

If I had 14 days, and I was starting/ending in Fairbanks, I would probably stay in Fairbanks for a day or two, exploring all there is there - the museum at the University, do Riverboat Discovery, walk around Creamer's field, etc.

I would then head to Denali for 3 days, doing at least 2 shuttle bus trips into the Park, see the doggie demo, etc.

Maybe one day in Talkeenta

Maybe a day in Hatcher Pass.

Then Anchorage/Girdwood area for a 1 or 2.

I would then head to Seward for 2 days - Sealife center, Exit Glacier, boat tour into Kenai Fjords Nat'l Park.

Then I would head towards the Palmer area, maybe choosing to overnight there - perhaps Musk Ox farm?

I would overnight near Matanuska Glacier - hike/explore there.

Then head up the Glenn until it connects with the Richardson Hwy.

Perhaps head to Valdez? Maybe explore Wrangell/St. Elias National Park??

Then continue up the Richardson hwy back to Fairbanks.

fly home.

Really all depends on what YOU want to see and do! :)