We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lakes in late May

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Topic
Lakes in late May

I was just wondering whether the lakes around Anchorage / Seward areas will still be frozen in late May? I am guessing not?

If they are not, which particularly beautiful lakes are reachable by car? I was thinking Eklutna, Lost (not drivable?), Kenai Lake, etc.

Side question: Do you think MICA or NOVA guides for Matanuska glacier need advance reservations? I've heard that PWS / Kenai Fjord cruises might not need reservations but I'm thinking the glacier tours might be more limited. I know a reservation is best... but some of my trip-mates are still unsure if they want to join, so I would like to know how flexible we can be.

Edited: 20 April 2014, 06:47
Sturgeon
Level Contributor
528 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lakes in late May

Early last June, the majority of the higher elevation lakes were still frozen. However, I've heard it has been a relativly mild winter this winter, so a local will have to chime in.

Sturgeon
Level Contributor
528 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lakes in late May

Also, last June 8, people without reservations were turned away from our Major Marine tour of Kenai fjords in Seward. They missed a great day with multiple humpbacks and a pod of orcas within 10 feet of the boat. If your heart is set on doing something, I'd book it

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lakes in late May

Eklutna is a very pretty area and very easy to access. If you are up to a hike there is a short hike with lots of elevation gain that gets you up above treeline for some great views.

…alaska.gov/parks/units/chugach/eklutrls.htm

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lakes in late May

I'll be making reservations on more lenient policies then. Seems like Major Marine is a bit nicer in that respect...

I would love some additional inputs regarding the lakes....

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lakes in late May

Lost Lake on the Kenai is a hardy hike, a beautiful lake!

Kenai Lake is gorgeous & road-accessible.

If you need a hotel in Anchorage, there is Springhill Suites right on University Lake with waterfowl, possibly swans that time of year & potential moose. Easy access even if not staying at the hotel.

Potter marsh just south of Anchorage may have the swans there then, plus other ponds with potential swans on the way down onto the Kenai.

Summit Lake on the Kenai has a green house restaurant room at Summit Lake Lodge next to the lake.

Edited: 23 April 2014, 13:06
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,801 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lakes in late May

The lake behind my house is still frozen, but it should be breaking up soon and if weather stays consistent with what's been happening, most lakes at lower elevations should be ice free.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,264 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lakes in late May

Things are breaking up early here too . . . local ponds are starting to break up, the Nenana river is as well . . . I am so hoping for an early spring! Even heard some song birds early this morning!! :)

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,364 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lakes in late May

Kenai Lake is already ice free. There's a great pullover for photos about a mile or so after you cross the railroad tracks when heading south. You can also access it via the Primrose road.

Tern Lake at the wye still has some ice for a few more days. The swans are enjoying the little ponds across the road.

No, you can't drive to Lost Lake.

Major Marine is my favorite for the larger boats. I've never worried about reservations with them...but if it's nice weather and a weekend

9. Re: Lakes in late May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2015, 05:15