We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many boat tours should we plan?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Topic
How many boat tours should we plan?

We are planning to take the 9 hour Northwestern Fjord Tour in Seward. Trying to decide if we should also take the whale watching boat in Juneau. We are flying from Anchorage to Juneau and then taking the ferry to Petersburg. We arrive at 9:30am and leave on the ferry at 6:15. We will have a rental car for the day. Also wanted to see Mendenhall Glacier. The whale watch leaves at 12:00 and returns at 3:00. Thanks for any help.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,094 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many boat tours should we plan?

I think there are really good whale watching possibilities in Petersburg, as well as Juneau......maybe that would work better with your short time in Juneau.....rent a car for the day in Juneau, see Mendenhall, Shrine of St Terese, if nice weather have a picnic at Eagle Beach or Sandy Beach on Douglas Island (you can drive there, too)......if rainy have a nice halibut sandwich at Hot Bites in Auke Bay or a brick oven pizza at Island Pub on Douglas Island.....put on your rain gear and enjoy the Treadwell Trail that leaves from Sandy Beach on Douglas Island and meanders through the overgrown ruins of the Treadwell Mine area......

http://www.petersburgalaska.com/whales.html

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How many boat tours should we plan?

Would the whale watching be as good in Petersburg as it is in Juneau? If we don't do the whale watching in Juneau I was thinking about the zip line adventure. Any thoughts on that? Thanks.

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,777 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How many boat tours should we plan?

I love being on the water... So I'm going to take every boat tour I can...

4. Re: How many boat tours should we plan?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2015, 06:15