We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

summer 2007 Alaska holiday

Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
Save Topic
summer 2007 Alaska holiday

Hi hope someone can start my thinking off with some good advice- thinking of seeing Alaska next Summer but don't want to be on a luxury cruise ship. On the other hand, I'm not an artic explorer so need tips on what is available for reasonably fit people who love wildlife and the natural world. We would be travelling from Britain, spending about 2 weeks away and like to walk (moderately!). Look forward to any suggestions and thanks in advance.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,510 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: summer 2007 Alaska holiday

Hello Susan and welcome to the forum! Well, I think you would really enjoy a land tour of Alaska - flying into Fairbanks or Anchorage, rent a car or camper and head off. Camping is the cheapest way to go, and the plus is you save costs by fixing food yourself, and you can be a bit more flexible. However, you could also just get a car, staying in hotels or B&B's, and see just as much - you just have to plan ahead a bit better. Lots of places to see wildlife, nature and walk . . . Alaska is perfect for all of that!

You might want to spend a bit of time here on the forum - read people's trip reports - read about where they went, what the did and see if that is something you are interested in. If I were coming to Alaska, here is where I would go, though not listed in a particular order, as it depends on where you fly in. I would want at least 1 day in each city - Anchorage (seeing the Alaska Native Heritage center) and Fairbanks (the museum at the University and maybe Riverboat Discovery), and then I would head to Denali National Park (www.nps.gov/dena) - 2-3 days here, making sure you take a shuttle bus into the Park - you might see Mt. McKinley - highest peak in North America, and lots of wildlife. Maybe go see a doggie demo, or go on a raft trip. I would also spend a day or two in Seward - go to the Sealife Center and do a boat tour of Kenai Fjords National park, and do the hike to Exit glacier. I would also explore the rest of the Kenai Peninsula - heading from Seward, and checking out all the towns until you arrive in Homer. If you have time, perhaps head up the Glenn Hiway, and over to Wrangell/St. Elias Nat'l Park - check out McCarthy, and maybe down to Valdez.

Alaska can be a bit overwhelming, but it's very doable. Hope that helps get some ideas flowing for you and don't hesitate to post more questions. Good luck! :)

North Port, Florida
Level Contributor
60 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: summer 2007 Alaska holiday

We always fly to Anchorage to begin our 2-week adventures. This year we went north and did Denali for the first 5 days and then went down to the Kenai Peninsula area for the remainder. We have done the Anchorage to Homer trip in previous years. The Denali Bus trip was nice but no more than a 2 day adventure if you are not hikers. Allow 1 day to get there and the next for the bus trip in. We also did the Denali Highway this year and I am glad I did the National Park first as the scenery on the Denali Highway was pretty much the same scenery that we saw in the park however no wildlife was spotted on the Denali Highway. What outdoor adventures do you like? The location is usually dependant on what outdoor activities you like to be involved in.

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: summer 2007 Alaska holiday

Great many suggestions above.

Susan, what would be the best option for you? Renting RV or renting a car and staying in hotels, motels, inns, cabins, chalet, backcountry lodges, B&Bs or maybe camping?

For wildlife include 9.5 hours Kenai Fjords cruise from Seward, shuttle bus into Denali National Park and Preserve, float plane flight into Katmai National Park and Preserve for a day bear watching trip. You we'll find spectacular scenery everywhere you go.

The most important question is for how long are you coming? If you are able to come for two weeks it would be an ideal time for your first visit.

Arctic in the summer is beautiful, full of blooming tundra, freely roaming animals with many babies, abundant birds, and other wildlife, the sun that never sets. Yet, you don't have include visit Arctic Circle in your itinerary.

I agree, planning a first trip to Alaska can be overwhelming. There are so many thing to see and places to visit. The biggest mistake many visitors make is trying to fit too much in a short time. Don't be discouraged, you have made a right decision to start your research already.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: summer 2007 Alaska holiday

You could also see the Inside Passage without a cruise on the Marine Highway.

First, to choose where you want to go, you have to know how much time you have, then decide how much you can/should fit in the time. I went to Alaska for two 1/2 weeks, and it was plenty to see Anchorage, Seward, Homer, and Denali...

There are a few what I call "areas" in Alaska: the Aluetian (sp?) islands, prince william sound, kenai peninsula, Katamai, Inside Passage, and the Interior. If you come up with a numer of days we could throw a whole bunch of samle itineraries at you...

Blue

5. Re: summer 2007 Alaska holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2009, 04:18