We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Lottery Camping

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,577 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Road Lottery Camping

Last time I did the Road Lottery at Denali National Park & Preserve I got shut out of camping. I tried to get a site at Riley Creek or Teklanika and there were none available. I ended up at the hostel which was fine but this year I would really like to camp. So for all of you who make reservations for Teklanika during road lottery how late do you wait to make the reservation? Do you wait until you find out whether or not you got a permit? I am going to Alaska and maybe even Denali whether or not I get a permit but I am thinking I may go to Katmai if not Denali so trying to balance how much money I want to lose if I don't go.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,477 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Lottery Camping

The last three years i have made lodging reservations for road lottery well before i found out the results. if i were camping in the park i would def book in advance. Only a $4 change/cxl fee

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,577 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Lottery Camping

Thanks John, I figures as much and yeah it's not worth worrying about the few dollars a cancellation would cost. Just was wondering if I could wait it out until my plans firmed up. I leave AK on the Sept. 16th(1am) so can't/don't want to do Monday for Lottery so hoping for Friday or Saturday. Maybe I will do both Brooks Camp & Denali if it all works out.

Sullivan, Missouri
Level Contributor
74 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Lottery Camping

I believe the cancellation fee is $4.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,150 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road Lottery Camping

I did the road lottery in 2011 and camped at TEK. I also booked way out in advance (May I believe). The $4 cancellation fee was of no concern to me had I not scored a lottery day.

5. Re: Road Lottery Camping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2015, 06:15