We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry concerns - Juneau to Prince Rupert

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
20 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry concerns - Juneau to Prince Rupert

We are traveling by AMHS ferry from Juneau to Prince Rupert - we don't have a choice about this as our ticket is already booked irrevocably to fly from Prince Rupert to Victoria. We have booked a cabin as it is an overnight trip. I since found that this ferry departs at 2:30 AM on 26 May which is a terrible time. Please advise me:

1. I take it we can only board at 1:30 am on the morning of 26 May and no earlier? If we can board earlier then at what time earliest?

2. I have booked a cabin for the night of 26 May. Should I book a cabin for the night of 25 May also so we can sleep some of the morning of 26 May? Or does the one booking of cabin cover both since half the night is gone?

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,150 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry concerns - Juneau to Prince Rupert

Have you called/emailed AMHS and asked them? They'd know best.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,025 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry concerns - Juneau to Prince Rupert

Yes, call their 800 number.......

One thing though about "boarding the ferry early"......the reason you can't do that is because the ferry will be coming from another port and will not be in Juneau yet.....

We often experience late ferry schedules and have stayed at the Best Western in Juneau which offered us a half day booking, checking out as late as midnight for half the rate.....so if you are staying there the night(s) before you are scheduled for the ferry, just add the half day booking, and check out when you are ready to head out for the ferry terminal.......

Book your cabin on the ferry for both nights for maximum comfort.....many do sleep in the lounge chairs or even on the carpeted floors, since most of the public areas are darkened at night, but you just can't beat having your own little cabin to retreat to......

Edited: 30 April 2014, 15:57
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
20 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry concerns - Juneau to Prince Rupert

Thank you both. I have written to them to ask the same questions since I am from South African and the 800 no. doesn't work from here. When I did my reservation of the cabin it did not ask me if it was for 1 or 2 nights so I assume it is for the duration of the trip surely? Do they allow you to go to the cabin whenever you like i.e. immediately on onboarding? We definitely need a cabin (we are not in our dotage (haha) but being in early 60's we do like to be comfortable).

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
20 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry concerns - Juneau to Prince Rupert

Just checked and Best Western is booked up for our stay in Juneau. I will try to find others that offer a half day booking, checking out as late as midnight for half the rate.....but if you know of any off hand I would appreciate the heads-up on these.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
8,570 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry concerns - Juneau to Prince Rupert

When we traveled via AMHS we went straight to our cabin once aboard. You have to go to the purser's desk for your key. I am also confused as you are flying from Prince Rupurt to Victoria. Am I correct and assuming you are walk on passengers (no car). If so you should be able to board earlier.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,025 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry concerns - Juneau to Prince Rupert

Lee, you might also want to check with Grandma's Feather Bed which is owned by the Best Western people and maybe the Travelodge or Super Eight......they all have complimentary transportation to both the ferry and airport, as well.......

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
20 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry concerns - Juneau to Prince Rupert

Yes we are walk-on passengers. Mombear Grandma's is booked up already for this time. I will try the others thanks.

8. Re: Ferry concerns - Juneau to Prince Rupert

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2015, 06:16