We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo travel/7 days in Alaska! Need help planning

Dayton, OH
Level Contributor
21 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Solo travel/7 days in Alaska! Need help planning

Hi everyone,

I am taking a solo trip to Alaska 12 June-20 June.... and I really could use some collective wisdom to help plan! I will have a rental car the whole time, and would like to keep accommodations down to a shout (hostels, any place with a good military discount).

So far, I am not sure where to go from Anchorage:

12 JUNE: Arrive 8pm, pick up car, check in hostel

Anchorage 12-15 June, planning to leave Sunday morning to go somewhere else. What can I do for these full two days in Anchorage?

And how should I split up my time from 15-19 June? I have an early flight back on 20 June, and will stay in Anchorage again for the last night.

Any advice would be great..... interested in day cruises, hiking, kayaking, up for anything adventurous (albeit safe!). Thanks so much for any help you can offer!

Jen

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,596 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo travel/7 days in Alaska! Need help planning

With 7 days I would recommend using 3 days for Seward and 4 days for Denali.

So arrive on the 12th, stay the night and head out the next morning for Seward. On the way down, explore the Turnagain Arm/Whittier/Portage/Girdwood area.

On the 14th you could do a Kenai Fjords wildlife cruise or a kayaking trip. There's also Exit Glacier or the Harding Ice Field.

On the 15th, start back north, going as far as Talkeetna.

The 16th continue onto Denali. You should get there in time in the evening to explore the entrance area and drive the first 15 miles of the park road.

The 17th & 18th you can do the shuttle buses into the park, going as far as the Eielson Visitor's Center or Wonder Lake. The shuttle buses give you the flexibility to hop off and hike and then hop on another shuttle bus later.

The 19th you head back towards Anchorage. You should have time to visit Hatcher's Pass on the way.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,516 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo travel/7 days in Alaska! Need help planning

You might want to start by reading the Top Questions on the right hand side of the page. :)

I wouldn't stay in Anchorage for 2 days - my plan would include driving to Seward (staying one or two nights) and then driving to Denali, where I would stay 2-3 days, and then points in between, depending on your interests. :)

Dayton, OH
Level Contributor
21 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo travel/7 days in Alaska! Need help planning

Ah, thank you, I will check that out. I revised my plans and will crash in Anchorage only for the bookends when I have to (arrival/departure nights). Based on accommodations, looks like heading to Denali first will work better, then driving South. Should I head straight to Seward and push for a long drive or split it up and make some stops?

12 June, arrive, Anchorage for a night

13-16 June, Denali

16-19 Seward

19, return to Anchorage for early 20 June flight

Thank you again, JN

Winder, Georgia
Level Contributor
351 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo travel/7 days in Alaska! Need help planning

Denali to Seward would be extremely long. Better to stop in Anchorage or Girdwood. The drive from Anchorage to Seward is beautiful, so you don't want to hurry. There will be a lot of road construction this summer, so a lot of time will be added to drive times. Don't just rush from here to there, enjoy the beautiful landscape.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,516 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo travel/7 days in Alaska! Need help planning

Get out a good map - the Milepost would a wonderful help with your planning. You might want to choose somewhere in the Palmer/Wasilla area - maybe even Hatcher Pass to break up the journey btw Denali and Seward. :)

6. Re: Solo travel/7 days in Alaska! Need help planning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2015, 06:16