We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alaskan cruise and land tour

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Alaskan cruise and land tour

Hi my friend and myself are planning to take the NCL 7 day Alaskan cruise from Whittier to Vancouver from 14 July to 21 July.We plan to sightsee at Vancouver/Victoria for a couple of days and return on 24 July. One of my friends who is based in US tells me that the Alaskan trip is incomplete without a pre/post cruise land tour.We can spare at best 4 days for the land tour.Should we ,go in for a pre cruise trip wherein after landing in Anchorage take a coach to Denali spend 2 days there return to Anchorage and then take off to Whittier? We are kinda short on time as well as funds:)

Thanks

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,315 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alaskan cruise and land tour

Alaska is such a big state that what you see from a land trip in SouthCentral will be different that what you experience from a cruise through Southeast.

So any Alaska trip can be a good one. It's typically a long expensive flight, so the more you can fit into a trip, the better. But of course all of us have limits to our time.

So, if you can squeeze in just 4 days before your cruise, I would. In my opinion, the best way to do the land part is by renting a car. You can purchased a prepackaged coach trip from the cruise lines, but I think putting your own trip together with a rental car will give you a better experience.

You can fly into Anchorage, rent the car and head to Denali.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alaskan cruise and land tour

Hi

The problem is that neither my friend nor I drive.Given the long distances and the time constraint, I was wondering if there is any way to reach Whittier from Denali other than via Anchorage.Our cruise takes off from Whittier on 14 July at 9 pm Basically the earliest we can fly into Anchorage ,after cutting out on our trip to Yellowstone, would be the 10 th of July.Spent all of last nite trying to find some tour which will match our needs ...referring mainly to the both the discount coupon booklet tours:) The closest I can get to something which matches our requirement is the Grayline round trip of Alaska tour from Anchorage to Denali.

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,315 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alaskan cruise and land tour

Ah. Not driving limits what you can do, but it's still possible.

The Alaska Railroad can get you to Denali, or something like the Alaska Park Connection.

http://www.alaskacoach.com/

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
8,791 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alaskan cruise and land tour

AKStafford - being that they are from overseas and their cruise is this July their best bet would be to use a cruise line land tour. However, I don't know what NCL has to offer (only familiar with Princess)

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alaskan cruise and land tour

Thanks AKStrafford I will once again check the links @k2iks we have no issues with going by any cruise line but NCL was the one which met our time schedule well. I will also check out Princess cruise tour again..since I return to Mumbai on July 28 we are a little pressed for time. Does the Denali NPS have it's own shuttle bus for travelling inside the park?

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
8,791 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alaskan cruise and land tour

You can't really use a Princess land tour if you are booked with NCL as they are not ported at Whittier the same day. However, you may be able to do so if you hang out in Anchorage prior to your cruise. Look into www.princesslodges.com as they have a section for their landtours if booked separately. Perhaps you could book one that has a direct train to Whittier and hang out at the Inn at Whittier. I have never booked a cruisetour this way. So, what I'm saying could be false information.

The park shuttle busses (green) operate from the WAC and not from the hotels.

Edited: 04 May 2014, 04:08
Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alaskan cruise and land tour

Hey I think u misunderstood what I said.. We are yet to book our cruise..we have just zeroed in on NCL and are therefore not averse to booking Princess cruise tour if so recommended.I just now checked out the princess lodges.com site and they do have a tour beginning July 11 which may suit us(tour 2 H) Alternately will it be advisable for us to Do it on our own ..say book by coach from Anchorage to Denali stay overnite at the princess lodge do a couple of excursions in Denali (using the BOGO offers on the Alaskan tour coupon booklet). On our return take a coach to telkeetna see MtMckinley and return to Anchorage? Or do you think it will get too complicated and is not worth the effort?

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
8,791 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alaskan cruise and land tour

Now I'm getting confused. Those of us here on the forum will recommend doing your own land tour and not the cruise line tour. However, your visit is July (this year I assume) and as you don't drive you are better off with the cruise line's landtour. Since you haven't booked NCL what have you got against going with Princess for both landtour and cruise? That way they take you directly to the ship in Whittier following the landtour.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alaskan cruise and land tour

Thanks for your patience.. Will check out the Princess cruise tour :)

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,510 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alaskan cruise and land tour

It is much easier & cheaper to plan your own land tour . . . as AKStafford mentioned at the beginning. Cruise with who you want, but do your own land tour. You can easily book rail via the Alaska Railroad site. :)