We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help with 9 days trip to Alaska with kids

San Jose...
Level Contributor
3 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Need help with 9 days trip to Alaska with kids

Hello!

We are traveling with kids (ranging ages 5 to 15) to Alaska during first week of July. Our trip is 9 days long. We want to do the following activities:

watch wildlife (esp. wolves, bears, orcas)

watch salmon jumping

dog sledding

visit glaciers

one day sea cruise

ice worms

We plan to spend one day at Anchorage, 2 days at Denali. What are the main attractions in Seward, Juneau and Homer? Which would be the best place to visit given our time constraint? Any other suggestions for activities with kids?

Thanks much!

Madhu

Sullivan, Missouri
Level Contributor
74 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help with 9 days trip to Alaska with kids

Are you renting a car or RV? I'm no expert but thus is part of my vaca.

anchorage to seward (amazing drive) in seward you can visit the sea life center (occasionally Groupon deal), exit glacier / ranger hike (free), fishing either a charter or rent gear to fish from shore, & kjord or bay tour. Stay for how many days you need for the activities (maybe 2-3), I hear the waterfront city campground is the way to go. Currently a gropuon for dog sledding in seward or wait till Denali

Then head north to Denali NP. Along the route you could stop at Anchorage wildlife conservation center for numerous animals viewing, Manuesku Glacier ($20pp) outside Palmer, Hatched Pass or in Talkeetna for flightseeing. Stay the night outside the park or in Talkeetna. Depending on your toming the Alaska State is a must, my kids are excited for that $11pp.

Denali NP visitor center two different centers, free doggie demo, discovery hikes led by rangers all within the driving part. Could take a hike there or better get a shuttle to Wonder Lake first thing in the morning for hiking. Camp inside tge park perferably as each campground has ranger talks every night. Stay till you have to return to anchorage for your flight or the night before.

San Jose...
Level Contributor
3 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help with 9 days trip to Alaska with kids

Thank you so much, very useful info. We may end up doing a RV trip. if you have any info/tips on RV tips, please do let me know. Are there other activities for kids that we should do?

Thanks again!

Madhu

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,304 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help with 9 days trip to Alaska with kids

What are ice worms?

San Jose...
Level Contributor
3 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help with 9 days trip to Alaska with kids

Ice worms are live worms that live inside ice, usually found in glacier.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60873-d1094…

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help with 9 days trip to Alaska with kids

HI & welcome!

There is a Top Question on renting an RV in AK. The most popular rentals are Great AK Holidays & ABC. Clippership & Go North are 2 other options.

For Denali you can stay either in Healy, Carlo Creek or at the busy glitter gulch, right outside the park.

The dog sled demo at Denali is a big hit with kids & adults alike. There is a dog yard to visit & ask about the puppies.

I would recommend shuttle bus to Eielson visitor center & the Jr Ranger program for the young kids. There is a Young Scientist program for young teens, I believe, but I don't know a lot about that.

Byron glacier trail out of Portage glacier and Exit glacier are fantastic & easily accessible.

Iceworms-Portage glacier visitor center :

travelalaska.com/Destinations/…20Glacier.aspx

The Russian River falls are a good chance to see salmon going up the falls.

In Seward, take the longer cruise that gets you way out, not the bay cruise.

6. Re: Need help with 9 days trip to Alaska with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2015, 05:17