We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alaska Trip with Kids, Itinerary Help Please

Newbury Park...
7 posts
Save Topic
Alaska Trip with Kids, Itinerary Help Please

Hi all and thank you for taking the time to read this.

I could use some itinerary input, suggestions, and help with our upcoming trip to Alaska.

My wife and I will be traveling with our 8 and 10 year olds in August. We have the flight and car booked, but not much more... help please...

I'm not a big fan of touristy things... I don't mind driving distances, but don't want to spend the entire trip in the car either... We are not an a strict budget, but are money conscience...

So here is what I have in mind, please critic, suggest, and improve...

Landing in Anchorage 7/30/14 night leaving 8/9/2014:

7/30/14 -> land, get car, hotel in Anchorage

7/31/14 -> drive to Denali (stay in Healy? - no hotel booked, please make suggetions on where to stay) - anything exciting to see on the way there?

8/1/14 -> booked tickets for bus in park; stay night in Healy or other place recommend

8/2/14 -> set on drive to Valdez -> need lots of input here because I have no idea on the actual time for this drive and if there are exciting place to stop, if we should spend night somewhere before Valdez, where should that be? (Glennallen? another city along Glenn Highway?) Also, was thinking on exploring Matanuska Glacier along the way; can some one comment on this, is safe to walk around without gear? can I drive the rental to it? how long? guides? etc... if we stop there, should we stay the night somewhere before arriving at Valdez?

8/3/14 not sure if we need to use this day to get to Valdez or spend this day exploring Valdez and surrounding area? Any suggestions?

8/4/14 Ferry to Whittier (7am, get there at 1-2pm) / we can take this ferry the next day as well, if there are cool things to do around Valdez or along the way there.

8/5/14, 8/6/14, 8/7/14, 8/8/14 - was going to use these days to explore Seaward, Kenji Fjord, Homer, etc. Open to any suggestions!!! my Son's birthday will be on 8/6, he'll be 9 - thought about maybe doing some fishing on that day with him if there's something along the way... or any other cool activity place to visit around that area around that time...

8/9/14 taking off from Anchorage at 10pm, maybe spend day around anchorage

Thank you again for taking the time to read this, I appreciate your experience and suggestions.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alaska Trip with Kids, Itinerary Help Please

Just to get you started for Denali....

On the way to Denali, Denali view south & north, the beautiful veteran's memorial are all great stops:

www.milepost.com/highway_info/parks_highway

Where to stay in Healy ideas:

http://www.denalichamber.com

Sullivan, Missouri
Level Contributor
74 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alaska Trip with Kids, Itinerary Help Please

While visiting Denali there are two different centers to visit/expos and doggie demo. Also a JR Ranger Program that you can check out at the center. Hiking and taking a shuttle into the park. We are going into see wonder lake.

Sullivan, Missouri
Level Contributor
74 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alaska Trip with Kids, Itinerary Help Please

If you go to Seward you could vist the Sea life Center and Exit Glacier. You could also charter a fishing boat. While driving from anchorage to Seward there is a wildlife conservation center to view animals.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
8,652 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alaska Trip with Kids, Itinerary Help Please

My only comment is why have you waited until now to start planning a summer 2014? We are planning our own up north and have just finished. Accommodations in Healy are filling up fast (forget the park area already). As for the ferry get those now and know the length of your vehicle as fare is based on that.

Your drive to Valdez will be a long haul. If you wish to visit Matanuska Glacier I would recommend Sheep Mountain Lodge just about ten miles past there. Don't know enough about Glennallen facilities (nothing appealing to me). About 10 miles further is Copper River Princess Lodge (if available).

As for my past Alaska planning (1991 and 1994) we always started six months in advance (kids were grown by then) and when we were young could not afford to go anywhere (had four kids within the first ten years of marriage). I think it is great you can bring them along on your visit. Just make them leave their i-pads (or what ever they call that stuff) home.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
33 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alaska Trip with Kids, Itinerary Help Please

You can try Denali Lakeview Inn , Healy. I found my accommodation there just one day back so maybe you can too..Best of luck!!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
33 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alaska Trip with Kids, Itinerary Help Please

http://www.denalilakeviewinn.com/rooms.htm link to the inn

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
8,652 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alaska Trip with Kids, Itinerary Help Please

Me too! We also booked with them two days ago for three nights (July 10-13). But, first two nights in one room and the third in another room.

It will be a long day of driving, from Copper River Princess Lodge and via the Denali Hwy. Looking forward to it.

Edited: 05 May 2014, 17:17
Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,142 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alaska Trip with Kids, Itinerary Help Please

Denali to Valdez is a long stretch... I would recommend staying the night in the Matanuska Glacier area. Homestead Cabins are nice: http://www.homesteadcabinsak.com/

You can walk on the glacier without the gear, but I wouldn't recommend it. It's slick. Better to do the trip with Mica: http://www.micaguides.com/

I'm not sure that you'll have time to get to Homer...

I would also recommend getting a copy of the Milepost. In my opinion, it's the essential guide to driving in Alaska. www.TheMilepost.com .

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,949 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alaska Trip with Kids, Itinerary Help Please

If you list your nightly budget and amenities, I would be happy to make recommendations for your Denali stay, though you need to get cracking - places are quickly booking up! :)

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,311 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alaska Trip with Kids, Itinerary Help Please

I agree with prior posters:

- look in to a guided trek on the Matanuska Glacier (it's amazing)

- not much in Glenallen except gas & a potty break/leg stretch.

- Not enough time for both Valdez and Homer. I like both these destinations better than Seward (I seem to be in the minority on that).

Look into activities in the Girdwood/Portage/Whittier area (see: http://goo.gl/dPvuEJ ). It's a really great area for families (& I think economical too). You could easily spend 2 to 3 days with very full days here.