We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Cruises

Warren, Ohio
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Family Cruises

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Looking to take a family (adults & kids) trip on an Alaskan Cruise between June - Aug. 2015. Any cruise line suggestions, ones to avoid, ports of call, land/sea over cruise only, etc. would help tremendously. We are very flexible with schedules and trying to set a budget based off a once in a lifetime kind of trip. I have already started reading through cruisecritic.com and have found some very valuable information in there, but I always like a good review from those who have traveled or done something similar.

Thanks in advance!

Future Cruisers!

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family Cruises

There are two types of Alaska cruises: Round trip such as out of Seattle, or one way out of Vancouver. Advantage of one way cruises gives you the option of exploring the interior before or after the cruise.

If you don't care about anything other than the cruise, you may be interested in the 14-day cruise out of Seattle on HAL's Amsterdam, which in addition to the usual Inside Passage, she comes over to Anchorage (downtown), Homer, and Kodiak (plus Hubbard Glacier).

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
41,924 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family Cruises

Well, you have plenty of time to plan . . . I haven't been on a cruise, but would highly recommend you doing/planning your own land tour either before or after your cruise. :)

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
18,610 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family Cruises

"Round trip such as out of Seattle:

.... or Vancouver.

Christy,

If you are on a computer, not a phone thing, you will see the Top Questions to the right of screen, and there you will find a link to a very detailed article about Alaska cruises which you should read.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
382 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family Cruises

Alaska Dream Cruises do adventure cruises for families. Their 2015 schedule is not out yet. There is a review on "Pitstops for Kids" under the adventure heading.

It is expensive but so is a large ship cruise when you add in all the extras.

New York
Level Contributor
3,380 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family Cruises

I have sailed on all the major cruiselines, in Alaska with the exception of Disney. ALL are family friendly.

Instead I suggest you back up and find out about Alaska. Head to your library, take out Alaska travel books including Alaska By Cruiseship.

These are valuable for you finding out about each port and route. These need to be determined before you start looking for ships. Rank each port in terms of your interests, and activities you wish to participate in. Understand the glacier area differences. Figure out if you are going to tour mainland Alaska, if so, then your cruise list goes in that direction.

In my opinion, tours are worth half your trip, and not the place to skimp.

6. Re: Family Cruises

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2015, 05:17