We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

stay in Alaska alone from 9th-16th June, looking for team

Munich, Germany
3 posts
Save Topic
stay in Alaska alone from 9th-16th June, looking for team

I will make a travel in Alaska alone from 9th-16th June, looking for somebody and make a team. welcome to contact with me, and thank you for giving me some suggestions, such as how to make a 7 days trip without a car? thank you so much!

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: stay in Alaska alone from 9th-16th June, looking for team

Welcome to TA, peter!

There are numerous ways to join a group in Alaska since TA is not a good way to look for travel partners.

Denali National Park has Discovery Hikes with groups of hikers, led by a ranger.

There are guided glacier treks & guided kayaking amongst the glaciers with groups.

Are you unable to drive, as a rental car is the best way to travel the state. If you do not drive, Alaska Railroad is one way to travel. If you go to the Top Questions here there is one regarding traveling Alaska by train.

A cruise through southeast Alaska is another way to travel.

Perhaps give us more information regarding if you have flights booked, if so when & where, etc. so that we can better help you with your plans. Will you be flying the condor over the top from Germany to AK?

Munich, Germany
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: stay in Alaska alone from 9th-16th June, looking for team

Hi,

Thank you very much for your help. Actually I haven't book the flight to Alaska so far, I just booked the flight from Germany to Vancouver. but I would like to go to Alaska around 9th-16th of June. I may flight to Anchorage first, any other choice from Vancouver?

Denali National Park for sure I will go, as well as Seward. I would like to do some hiking in Denali and camp there, how cold is it in June? is it easy to find a tour to do hiking? how about in Seward?

besides that, I would like to go to a small village to see the local life there, is there a good place?

Since I am still a student, I would like to have a economic plan to save some money, haha!

thank you very much for your help.

best,

peter

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
11,345 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: stay in Alaska alone from 9th-16th June, looking for team

Flights...

- depending on if you've actually purchased tickets yet there are many options available. Condor flies from Frankfurt to Anchorage (I do believe one of the directions is direct/non-stop and the other direction makes a stop in Whitehorse).

- during our summer season, Air Canada has a single flight every day to/from Anchorage

- Seattle... there's many flights everyday (usually much cheaper than Vancouver) to/from Anchorage

Traveling without a car...

- you can have a very nice trip to AK without a car, it will just mean not having as many conveniences and moving around a little slower.

- with a car, most of us would recommend traveling as far north as Denali and south to Seward (with points in between).

- without a car, I think you can accomplish the same destinations, but I don't think you'll have time to fit in a "village" as well, and still do justice to Denali and Seward.

Hiking...

- there will be no shortage of hiking opportunities at any destination in Alaska

Good luck

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: stay in Alaska alone from 9th-16th June, looking for team

Here's the link to the Denali Hostel. They have a shuttle that will take you from the hostel to the park entrance, but it only goes to the park twice a day (both in the morning) and comes back twice a day (in the evening), so you will want to plan your shuttle bus around that schedule.

There is also a Park Connection motor coach that goes from Anchorage to Denali. It's $90 each way as opposed to the railroad's $156 each way. It looks like the hostel plans their late evening bus around the Park Connection motor coach arrival since that gets into Denali around 8:30 pm and the hostel shuttle takes you back to the hostel at 9:30 pm.

http://www.denalihostel.com

And with the Park Connection bus, you can go to Denali first, then grab the first hostel shuttle in the morning and hop right on the Park Connection bus at 7 am that goes to Seward, and get there the same day at 5:45 pm. Denali to Seward is $155 one way. Then you could choose to go back to Anchorage on either the bus or the train depending on your schedule. The bus is $55-65 and the train is only $85 from Seward to Anchorage, so not a huge difference in price.

http://www.alaskacoach.com

Make sure you have accommodation booked in both Seward and Denali before booking your shuttle in the park and the motor coaches to and from. I don't know anything about the hostel in Seward, but here's the link- the location for it is convenient at least:

http://www.mobydickhostel.com

A good resource for hiking is:

http://alaskahikesearch.com/

Once you know where you are going to be, you can click on 'Parks' and it'll give you some of the hikes in them that are on that site. We also have lists of great hikes in Denali and around Anchorage in the Top Questions of those two forums (Top Questions is on the right-hand side on non-mobile devices).

Munich, Germany
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: stay in Alaska alone from 9th-16th June, looking for team

Thank u for your message.

How is the temperature during midnight in Denali? If I want to camp there with only a tent and sleeping bag, is it enough? Or the camping place is just for the RV car camping?

Thank u!

6. Re: stay in Alaska alone from 9th-16th June, looking for team

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2015, 06:17