We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to see bears

Jonesboro, Arkansas
Level Contributor
12 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to see bears

Am planning a trip for late June/early July and am looking for the best place to see bears. Will be in Kenai for several days so we could leave from there or do an excursion out of Anchorage. Bears will be the highlight of the trip, so if the likelihood is not good to see them then, when/where is the best time?? Appreciate your feedback!!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,957 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to see bears

You can fly out to see them - or come to Denali Park to see them as well. :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
375 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to see bears

You do not indicate where you will be on the Kenai or for how long

There are several operators out of Homer that do fly out trips to see bears.

The trips are expensive but you do get to see bears fairly close up

I did the trip with Bald Mountain Air and was very satisfied

I recommend that you look at the Homer Visitor Guide and then call several of the operators to get all the details

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to see bears

Are you going to be on the Kenai Peninsula or in the town of Kenai? Talon Air does bear viewing from Soldotna which is very close to the town of Kenai:

http://www.talonair.com/

If you are just on the KP in general, then there are more options out of Homer.

I also agree about going up to Denali if you have time. The bear viewing there is completely different but also very awesome (a good bit cheaper, too!). If bear viewing is the main reason for your trip, I'd be looking at staying overnight at a lodge in Lake Clark National Park and then also doing at least two shuttle bus trips into Denali.

port republic
Level Contributor
2,412 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to see bears

I have seen them every time in Denali. Do be aware however that the brown (grizzily) bears of the interior eat mostly soapberries and other plants, small mammals and range in size from about 300 - 600 lbs.

while the coastal bears of the same species fatten up on salmon and get much bigger up toward 1000 lbs or so. there may be some interest in the higher cost of flying out to see the larger coastal bears during a salmon run, it is , of course, your choice and budget.

Jonesboro, Arkansas
Level Contributor
12 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to see bears

I think we would prefer to go on a bear-specific tour so that we'll be sure (I know that's never a sure thing) to see them--the bigger the better! If we see some in Denali then that's just a bonus. We'll be staying 4 nights on Kenai (2-3 in Cooper Landing & 1-2 in Seward). I am looking for the best bear tour regardless of where it leaves from. I know Brooks Lodge has a day trip out of Anchorage and have looked at that. If you all have suggestions on specific tour companies such as Bald Mountain Air, Brooks Lodge, etc. it is greatly appreciated! Unfortunately TA doesn't have a category for bear watching that spans the country and not just a specific city.

Thanks!

New Braunfels, Texas
Level Contributor
280 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to see bears

Two years ago, we went with K Bay Air out of Homer. I think it was about $600 per then. They took us on a two hour flight, landed somewhere on a beach in the middle of nowhere, and the most remote place i've ever been. We hiked a bit, until we found some bears in a stream fishing... We stood around for over an hour watching these bears up close and personal. We also watched a wolf do the same thing. Then we hiked a bit more, and made it back to the plane and flew back. It was amazing and well worth it. Our group was about 11 people, they took two planes, and we didn't hardley see anyone else.

New Braunfels, Texas
Level Contributor
280 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place to see bears

Our best "free" bear experince, besides Denali, was a big brown bear we saw on the side of Exit Glacier road near Seward. of course, those are just happenstance...

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place to see bears

We however do have a couple bear viewing threads that we created just for Alaska. They are on the right under top questions:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28923-i349-k41753…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g31009-i1895-k6041…

9. Re: Best place to see bears

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2015, 06:17