We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alaska tour recomendations

Trevose...
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Alaska tour recomendations

Feeling very overwhelmed. Me and my friend (we're 68 and 70..leaving husbands home) are doing the Alaska cruise tour on a 11 day Celebrity Cruise the end of August. First time. Inside passage. ketchikan, icy strait point,juneau,skagway,hubbard glacier, seward then land to anchorage to danali to fairbanks.. There is so much info out there we don't know where to start, Booking thru the boat or look up numbers? Where do these 2 old ladies get the biggest bang for their buck? Meaning...don't want to kill ourselves or overdo it too much. Both in pretty good shape...kind of...So if I was your momma...what would you advise? (don't tell us to stay home and watch the kids either) Thank you so much...We'll be getting together tomorrow to try and figure this out! Stephie G

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,254 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alaska tour recomendations

Oh, I would never tell you to stay home! However, how about you tell us what you enjoy doing and what you hope to see as that would be very helpful! How adventurous and mobile are you? Is everything all booked - both cruise & land tour? If so, are you just wondering about the cruise's excursions? I would also suggest reading thru the Top Questions on the right hand side of the page, as that may answer some of your questions. Get ready to have fun and adventure in Alaska! :)

Trevose...
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alaska tour recomendations

Viewing more then doing. We could walk a couple hrs but not rugged or hills. New knees We are booked and are trying to set up a realistic schedule at each port of call. Love nature and history. See the big ice cubes and big fish. Totem poles. Fishing village. Coal mines bears. Moose. Whales. Lol. So much information and on a limited budget it's all overwhelming. Book thru cruise lines or on line or at the port? Yikes

Level Contributor
595 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alaska tour recomendations

Juneau has a good museum within waking distance. Whale watching is best there too. Try Orca Enterprises or Harv and Marv's. You can take the shuttle to Mendenhall Glacief and the tram up Mt. Roberts.

In Ketchikan, you can take the bus to Saxman Village if you just want to see the totem poles. If you take a tour, it will include watching them do carving.

In Skagway, take the White Pass Railroad tour if the weather is clear. They have interesting movies at the ranger station. They are free and so are their tours I believe, but I think you still need a ticket. The Gold Rush Cemetery was interesting. Check for local tours.

Hope this helps. Have fun. You will love Alaska.

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alaska tour recomendations

First off, give us idea what your schedule looks like for the land portion. Do you have two days in Seward? Then, what? Where are they having you stay near Denali? How many days there? Are they putting you on the total rip-off History Tour? If so, cancel that nonsense and book yourselves on the shuttles to the Eielson Visitor Center at least. If they aren't giving you enough time for a full day shuttle bus on your own, then that is bad. Much, much less chance to see moose, bears, caribou, etc if you aren't going far into Denali National Park.

A bit more specific info will help us tailor things to the time you have (I'm assuming you are doing your land tour through the cruise line- if not, then that allows for a LOT more leeway).

5. Re: Alaska tour recomendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2015, 06:15