We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What can we learn from your trip?

Central Coast...
Level Contributor
127 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
What can we learn from your trip?

1. What did you wish you had taken with you that you forgot or did not think of taking? (equipment, clothing, etc)

2. What were some of the most useful items you took with you?

3. What do you wish you had known before you left that you did not know?

4. What did you enjoy doing the most? And the least?

Thanks! We're going in August.

PA
Level Contributor
798 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What can we learn from your trip?

My husband and I visited June 2013 when temps were in the 80's. There isn't much we would change about our trip and we are planning on visiting again in a few years.

1. Shorts as the temps were quite warm while we were there.

2. Gloves, hat, and fleeces for glacier viewing. It was very cold and windy near the glaciers. Also very glad to have taken our backpacks for hiking and all day boat excursions.

3. I can't think of anything. TripAdvisor was an amazing planning tool and I felt so well prepared right down to flight cancellations and trip insurance:)

4. This one is difficult since so much of what we did/saw was a new experience and so amazing. I would have to say our favorite activities were the all day wildlife and glacier viewing boat trip with Alaska Saltwater Logde in Seward. Also really found hiking on Matanuska Glacier with MICA Guides very memorable. The activity we enjoyed the least was the Pinzgaur (sp?) tour out of Girdwood. After so many amazing experiences, this one didn't "Wow" us.

Enjoy your adventure in Alaska!

Central Coast...
Level Contributor
127 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What can we learn from your trip?

Thanks! We are booked for the Saltwater boat trip already and I was thinking about the Matanuska Glacier hike. The warm clothes warning is good too. Appreciate your answers!

PA
Level Contributor
798 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What can we learn from your trip?

My husband laughed at me as I packed hats, gloves, fleeces. On the first glacier trip in Whittier, he didn't take his gear and really was uncomfortable near the glaciers. He was glad to have them on the Seward trip. We didn't need them, even though they were in our backpacks, while hiking on the glacier. We actually were down to short sleeves while hiking. I think you will enjoy both of those activities--time well spent:)

Level Contributor
595 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What can we learn from your trip?

I think binoculars are important to take with you. They are great for wildlife viewing on boat, train and bus trips.

Central Coast...
Level Contributor
127 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What can we learn from your trip?

Thanks! On the list now!

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,534 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What can we learn from your trip?

Speaking as a lifelong resident, and having just gone on my first whale, glacier and marine watch with Saltwater Lodge, I cannot emphasize enough that rain gear is a big plus! Our visitors from MN were decked out in quality rain gear, and while it was very cold and rainy and a tough day to be out to sea for nine hours, those in rain gear were happier than the ones that were not.....and I was unprepared miserably. Never again. I can handle the cold, but it was just foolish not to bring necessary items for an entire day out to sea. Enjoyed the tour very much and would go again. And gloves and hats for the glacier viewing are nice to have and I did! Deb

Lakeland, Florida
Level Contributor
37 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What can we learn from your trip?

Been here for 14 days with 7 more to go and by far the best thing we brought were Frogg Toggs. Great if it is chilly to hole in heat and awesome at keeping you dry. Didn't need I would say the Arsenal of mosquito repellant. I bought several cans of 40% deet and a bottle of 100% deet for shoes boots and jeans application. We have only put it on once the entire time and that was Hiking the Hidden Creek trail in Cooper Landing on a day that was in the mid 60's. One can would have done us just fine.

Bridgewater
Level Contributor
798 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What can we learn from your trip?

My first trip, I totally overpacked, plus took a lot of the wrong clothes. Now I take totally dress down rugged clothes that can be rinsed out and dries quickly, rain gear, plenty of layering clothes (smart wool), and extra boots/sneakers. I also learned that I should have started out with good quality clothes from the start, as I ended up replacing so much of my stuff for better after each trip.

I also took buses and trains on my first trip, but ended up renting a car before it was over. Would only use a car now so I can stop and enjoy those unplanned moments. I felt like I was watching a movie with public translation.

I only plan a couple of must-dos for the entire time. If Denali is out, I can sit and admire it for hours without rushing off to the next adventure. if I see moose or bear or eagles, I can stop and watch them instead of watching my watch. Slow down and you'll see so much more.

I hadn't visited the museum or the native center in Anchorage until like my 3rd trip. Wish I had done this on my first day of my first trip. It gave me such a better appreciation.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,445 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What can we learn from your trip?

Turu nailed it.

Central Coast...
Level Contributor
127 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What can we learn from your trip?

Thank you all so much for your advice! I am adding some items and subtracting some items (clothing, equipment) and I think I will leave some of our days open that I was going to fill with scheduled activities. Again, thanks.