We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise Selection in Whittier/Seward

Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Cruise Selection in Whittier/Seward

Hi fellow travelers - I need your help deciding on which cruise to go on in the Kenai Peninsula. I am traveling with my girlfriend to AK towards the end of July, we are both in our mid twenties. There are many options available in Whittier and Seward, of different durations and cruising to different glaciers. We are looking for something offering the best scenic views and good wildlife encounter possibility. If we have to select just one cruise, which one should we go for ? Also, if we decide to take cruise in both Seward and Whittier, what would be a good option.

Thanks for your help,

- Nishant

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,510 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruise Selection in Whittier/Seward

Seward is known for more wildlife, Whittier for glaciers - that is why some do both. But I also love the little town of Seward, so I always suggest that. :)

Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruise Selection in Whittier/Seward

Thanks coalminer.

I bought the Toursaver coupon book and there was a coupon for 4 hr Major marine evening Cruise (6 PM). I read somewhere that the evening cruises are not good for wildlife spotting, is it true? I would go for the 8.5 hr NW Fjord Tour but would prefer the 4 hr evening cruise if that also offers ample wildlife spotting opportunity. What's your opinion on that?

Also, there is a coupon for Prince William Sound BlackStone Glacier tour, how does it compare to the Surprise Glacier tour ? I know that the Blackstone Glacier tour covers a smaller area but is it missing out too much on scenery and glaciers?

Thanks for your help.

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,509 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruise Selection in Whittier/Seward

With 4 hours you will not get out of the bay, you need to f=do a tour greater than 6 hours in Seward to see glaciers and wildlife.

Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruise Selection in Whittier/Seward

if i go for the 8.5 hour NW Fjord tour, can I avoid the BlackStone glacier cruise? Or would I be missing on something I won't experience during the 8.5 hr cruise?

5. Re: Cruise Selection in Whittier/Seward

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 10:17