We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kenai Princess Lodge to Seward

michigan
Level Contributor
130 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Kenai Princess Lodge to Seward

We are staying at the Kenai Princess Lodge and want to get to Seward. We don't necessarily want to take their tour to the Fjords National Park. We tend to get seasick, and thought we would just do the Resurrection Bay tour. Princess does not offer that and we have no way to get to Seward. Help.

Thanks, Milton

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,529 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kenai Princess Lodge to Seward

Contact PJs Taxi, they will pick you up and take you back on your own timing. There was a very recent thread with this same question and there was a quoted price in that thread.

http://www.pjstaxi.com/

The last post in this thread answers the question about price:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60873-i1361-k7572…

Edited: 06 July 2014, 21:55
Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,071 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kenai Princess Lodge to Seward

Have you contacted Princess and asked if you could take the bus to Seward without taking their tour? It doesn't hurt to ask.

My DH and I both get motion sick, but we took precautions and really enjoyed the full tour without getting sea sick. The Bay tour is okay, but nothing like you will experience if you take the full Kenai Fjords Tour.

michigan
Level Contributor
130 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kenai Princess Lodge to Seward

thanks for your response to this. Taxi is pretty expensive. What type of precuations did you take to avoid becoming sea sick. I get too sleep on Dramamine. Would appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,071 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kenai Princess Lodge to Seward

We both used something different. I started taking Bonine a few days before the cruise and continued it until we had completed our boat tour in Seward. Although Bonine is advertised as being non-drowsy, I decided to take it each night (it is a 24 hour dose). I never had any problems being sleepy. I also used ginger root capsules. There were several times on the Kenai Fjords tour whenI started to feel queasy. At the first sign of queasiness, I would take two capsules ( I believe each capsule was 450mg). I was amazed at how quickly they worked and calmed down the sensation within a very short time. Key is to take it ASAP when you notice the first sign of queasiness.

My DH used the prescription patch and it worked well for him. He did take ginger near the end up our Kenai Fjords tour when it got rough. However, he never got sick either. (We had both gotten deathly motion sick on the ferry that goes across Lake Michigan and we did not want a repeat performance of that experience.) Thankfully we avoided that!! :-)

I did not want to use the patch because of the possible side effects I had heard about. My DH is more daring than I am. He did not have any side effects, but a friend of mine had blurry vision when she was given the patch after a surgery. There are other side effects too, that I was just not willing to risk. Whatever you use, even over the counter meds, do check with your personal physician first.

Edited: 07 July 2014, 17:47
michigan
Level Contributor
130 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kenai Princess Lodge to Seward

Thanks so much for this advise! I also do not want to use the patch. These are great suggestions. I really appreciate it. We are also from Michigan, the Detroit area. Never got sea sick on Lake MI, but have on other cruises and boats!

6. Re: Kenai Princess Lodge to Seward

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2015, 05:16