We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

go to Homer or not?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
132 posts
1 review
Save Topic
go to Homer or not?

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28923-i349-k75809…

Hi all, above is my earlier post about our trip for next year. Now I am wondering whether we should skip Homer given the long drive, and add the time somewhere else. While we don't mind driving to get somewhere we really want to go, all of us prefer being out and about, and i am questioning whether the drive to homer will be worth the time. Obviously, no one can decide that for us, but would love your opinions :). The things I am interested in doing in Homer are: kayaking, which seems to be relatively calm and sheltered, which is important for us; hikes at kachemak bay state park; tide pooling; spending time at halibut cove. Can i find these experiences/similar experices somewhere closer to the places we will already be? With respect to the kayaking, as I am prone to motion sickness and we will be with two kids, I would prefer kayaking in a more protected area (bay or cove or similar) but still be able to see wildlife. With respect to hiking, I know there is hiking, etc, in many of the places we will be going, but is there anything about kachemak bay that is unique or is there somewhere else we could get a similar experience, that would be more worthwhile given the driving distances? Thank you!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
132 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: go to Homer or not?

Bump...thank you.

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,708 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: go to Homer or not?

Typically we prefer it if all questions are kept in one thread. It saves us from having to flip back and forth between various threads.

That being said, You've got the time. Homer is a great spot. If add another destination, it'll still involved a drive, so if Homer is where you want to go, then the drive is worth it.

If you want to avoid the drive, you could add activities in Whittier and Seward.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
27,645 posts
5,811 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: go to Homer or not?

Homer is my absolutely most favorite spot in Alaska.....

Homer tidal changes are awesome - 40 foot sometimes in a couple of hours.

We loved digging for clams a few miles further north and made clam chowder at our lodge.

We took the boat across from Homer to the island for dinner.

endofthespit.com/14-saltry-restaurant-in-hal…

Or take a ferry across and do your kayaking there.

travelalaska.com/Destinations/…20Cove.aspx

I just loved the views from Homer looking across the water to the mountains on the other side.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: go to Homer or not?

I doubt that you will find any other place in Alaska comparible to Homer. Of course, I may be biased and that is the reason we moved here (rural Homer) five years ago after residing in California for 50 years.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
418 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: go to Homer or not?

In my opinion Homer should not be missed. It is my favorite town and well worth the visit

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
132 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: go to Homer or not?

Thanks to everyone who replied. Looks like we will be going to Homer. :)

7. Re: go to Homer or not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2015, 05:15