We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in Alaska and other questions

Kansas
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Topic
Weather in Alaska and other questions

We will be in Alaska for a week the first of September and I've been looking at the weather. I know you've had a lot of rain and am sorry for any destruction it's caused. We, in the midwest, would love some of it but certainly not what you've had.

Anyway, I know not to trust weather.com and would hope that you can give me a better idea what I might plan for in clothing. I know to layer, rain wear, jacket, etc but do you think we may have some fairly warm days also. We are flying into Fairbanks and then going to Denali and Talkeetna and then to Anchorage.

A couple of our hotels are actually Princess Lodges and I need to know if they have interenet access for clients. I will not be carrying my laptop. Just refuse to do that but do hope to check in some. Is there very good cell phone coverage in these areas?

Can't wait to visit. We've been to Anchorage and on a cruise but want to see the interior as well.

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in Alaska and other questions

I know for a fact that the Princess Hotel in Fairbanks has a Business Center so it will have computers. I would bet that there is least one customer computer in any hotel lobby you go to now a days.

The Fairbanks weather in September should be nice and sunny. August is our rainy month as it has to rain during the Tanana Valley State Fair. Weather for the other 3 locations I would not know. You listed like 4 different geographical areas with their own weather patterns. In Fairbanks the nights and morning will be chilly but during the day it may warm up into the 60s. But then in it has snowed in September in Fairbanks (this being Alaska).

Wasilla, Alaska
Level Contributor
997 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in Alaska and other questions

The good news is that the rain is usually over by then here in southcentral AK. We could get some warmer days in the low 60's. Today, here in Wasilla, it's about 62 with the sun peeking out from the clouds. As far as clothing goes, you need layers. Shorts are questionable, but if you have those "Columbia" type pants that also act as shorts, that would be good. Otherwise, I wouldn't think you need them. I would suggest against jeans. If they get wet at all, you will be cold. Remember to pack light. Re-use your clothes. Alaska is casual.

I've used my cell phone between here and Fairbanks on roaming and had good coverage. I doubt you'll get a signal otherwise. In Fairbanks and Anchorage, I have pretty good regular coverage. My provider is Sprint PCS. Hope this helps.

Safe journey.

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
666 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in Alaska and other questions

Coming from Kansas I doubt you will think our warm days are all that warm. I probably wouldn't bother with bringing shorts. Like has been said, 60's are nice (for us).

I use ACS and get good coverage IN Fairbanks, but right out of town, not good at all. Probably in the towns of Anchorage and Fairbanks but Talkeetna is questionable and Denali is an almost certain no. Have fun.

4. Re: Weather in Alaska and other questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2009, 13:20