We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shipping fish / logistic questions

Evergreen, Colorado
Level Contributor
15 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Shipping fish / logistic questions

Background: We have a full day charter (halibut) booked for Homer on Sunday, Aug 31. We are very optimistic that we will be catching not fishing :-) The next day, Monday Sep 1 Labor Day, we have a fly in trip booked out of Soldotna in the afternoon to Crescent Lake (salmon) and should be back in Soldotna around 7-8pm. We then drive up to Anchorage to overnight before heading out on the train 2 days later to Seward and then onto a 7 day cruise south. Due to the fact of the cruise, we won't be able to take the fish with us and need to arrange for shipping out of Homer and Soldotna or Anchorage. In speaking with some of the processors in Soldotna, one is open to midnight and others have coolers where you can drop after hour and then arrange packing/shipping via phone/email the next day. In reading this forum and speaking with the processors, it is cheaper per pound to ship one box versus multi (Homer and Soldotna). So, here's my questions. Do you think it would be better to take our fish we catch from Homer and keep it in a cooler 1 day and then ship that along with what we catch near Soldotna and shipt from there? Other ideas/tips? Or is it cheaper to ship all this from Anchorage? I read here about Alaska Air's GoldStreak Package Express, but that won't work for us as we don't have anyone that can drive out to the airport to pick up the shipment as our airport is more than 1 hour drive one way. But our neighbor is willing to store our frozen shipment received via Fed Ex, UPS or elsewise as long as its delivered to his door.

Appreciate any advice/tips from those of you out there.

Thanks so much.

California
Level Contributor
106 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shipping fish / logistic questions

We just returned from our trip and only did a 1/2 day Salmon fishing. Only caught 2, but enjoyed one on the grill and shipped the other as a novelty to my dad in NJ. It was extremely expensive and we only shipped 2 lbs. they guy who processed and shipped said it gets much cheaper the more you ship. I would not recommend sending two smaller shipments.

port republic
Level Contributor
2,402 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shipping fish / logistic questions

After the charter boat cleans and bags your halibut fillets keep them buried in ice in a well drained cooler and they will be fine until you can drop them off the next day in soldotna. have them process all the fish. they don't need to ship early, everything will be individually packaged and flash frozen. they can ship all together. I used the place just to the south east of the bridge on the main road through town. they did a fine job. My schedule allowed me to take 100lbs of fillets as checked luggage for my flight. I did leave about 30 lbs of salmon to be proccesed as lox and kippers which was shipped to me after I arrived home. It was all good

3. Re: Shipping fish / logistic questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2015, 06:17