We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days in AK! First timers!

San Francisco...
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
4 days in AK! First timers!

Initially I wanted to just bogart an old topic but wasn't sure if that would be OK or no, so here is a new topic (and I apologize if there is an original thread for this- I searched and searched and couldn't find a big thread).

Anyway, I only have 4 days of vacation to spare between a completion of work project and classes resuming. I know that is definitely not enough time to really explore AK, but I have future plans to come back in the winter when I'm finished with school. I've recruited 2 other ladies to join me (we're all in our mid-20s). We're willing to hostel and rent a car. We have a general idea of where we want to go but we're not sure if it's possible to do all these things. We like hiking, photography, and of course FOOD!

We haven't bought our plane tickets yet but we're looking at flights for 9/25-28 that would get us to Anchorage at 3pm and leave 11:59pm flight on the 28th. I did my research and know that this time is considered a "Shoulder month" so I know that there are a few activities that we can't participate because the websites list Sept 14 or 15 as their end dates.

A few questions-

1. Sunset - what time?

2. Possible to see Northern Lights during this time (if skies are clear and dark enough) in or around Anchorage?

3. Can I assume that fishing during this time is not doable?

4. How much is gas up there? (estimation)

5. Will we see bears during our drive from Anchorage to Seward or Whittier? Road conditions during this time (from previous years)?

6. Best places to enjoy delicious seafood, eskimo ice cream, and other "things you can only eat while in AK"?

Day 1- arrive 3pm, pick up rental car, see Anchorage, stay at hostel for 1 night

Day 2- up early and drive down to Seward, kenai fjord tour (website states the 11:30am departure tours run until 9/28) OR drive to Whittier and do the PWS 26 Glacier cruise (runs until 9/30). We're ok with either one so we want to get your opinions on which would be best. stay at hostel for the night.

Day 3- ????

Day 4- ????, return rental, flight departs 11:59pm

Thank you!!

Mentioned in this post
Seward
Seward
Alaska
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
12,431 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 days in AK! First timers!

1. Sunset - what time?

- see: www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/usa/anchorage

2. Possible to see Northern Lights during this time (if skies are clear and dark enough) in or around Anchorage?

- possible = yes, likely = no (b/c skies are not likely to be clear and too much ambient lighting in the city)

3. Can I assume that fishing during this time is not doable?

- check with cheters you might find on internet for towns you may be in/near

4. How much is gas up there? (estimation)

- currently $4.00 gallon in ANC

5. Will we see bears during our drive from Anchorage to Seward or Whittier? Road conditions during this time (from previous years)?

6. Best places to enjoy delicious seafood, eskimo ice cream, and other "things you can only eat while in AK"?

- seafood, any town/city with a locally owned restaurant

- eskimo ice cream - not in any place you'll be visiting on your short trip

- reindeer sausage (etc.).... You can buy at local stores (e,g, Alaska Seafood & Sausage). You won't get anything like Moose (big game) anywhere commercial (illegal to serve)

I think it's best to concentrate on Anchorage and south (Girdwood, Portage, Whittier, Seward). This will keep your driving to a minimum. Check Whittier and Seward charters for availability.

Mentioned in this post
Seward
Seward
Alaska
Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
6,237 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 days in AK! First timers!

If it was me, I'd a Prince William Sound glacier cruise AND a Kenai Fjords wildlife cruise.

There's also these:

alyeskaresort.com/resort/about-aerial-tram.a…

http://www.alaskawildlife.org/

crowcreekmine.com/Crow_Creek_Mine/Summer_Sch…

…usda.gov/recarea/…

Mentioned in this post
Prince William Sound
Prince William Sound
454 Reviews
Alaska
Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
305 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 days in AK! First timers!

As for #6 you can always try a low cost lunch of a reindeer dog at one of the 4th avenue food carts in Anchorage (my favorite of the vendors is MA at 4th and G - great caramelized onions!).

Mentioned in this post
Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,474 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 days in AK! First timers!

What is a reindeer dog made out of if it is illegal to serve Moose?

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
19,520 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 days in AK! First timers!

From my little knowledge I think that the 'reindeer dog' contains small amounts of farmed caribou meat.

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,685 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 days in AK! First timers!

Reindeer Sausage is made from domesticated caribou (reindeer), beef and pork.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
19,520 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 days in AK! First timers!

Thanks for confirming that spacefry.

Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,474 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 days in AK! First timers!

All these years reading "The Night before Christmas" and I didn't know caribou were reindeer.

Thank you for that.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
12,431 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 days in AK! First timers!

"All these years reading "The Night before Christmas" and I didn't know caribou were reindeer."

It's a conspiracy.... well, you know, because "Rudolph the Red Nose Caribou...." just sounds dumb!

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
6,237 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4 days in AK! First timers!

Moose is a wild game meat. It's prohibited to be sold or served commercially. The meat is not inspect, and therefore no way to confirm if its safe.