We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

prescott national forest

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
prescott national forest

I have a few questions to ask. My husband and I are planning to visit Arizona the second weekend in October. We have been looking at the "Rooms with a View" program by the national forest service and are interested in the Tower Mountain cabin in the Bradshaw Mountains...

1. Has anyone heard of this program? If so, what is your opinion?

2. Any idea what the weather will be like during that time of year?

3. What other outdoor activites might you suggest? - we were thinking horseback riding, white water rafting, hiking, fishing

The more you can tell me about the area the better.

Thanks!!!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,823 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: prescott national forest

I'm not familiar with the program or the cabin, but I just checked the website. The cabin is located in a VERY remote mountain area. I've thought about taking a ride down there some day because I understand it's like a trip back in time. But I've put it off because the road thatgoes there is a rough mountain road. I've driven all over NH and the mountains there (I have a home in Norh Conway) and I can tell you that this one (from the descriptions I've read) is as rough and lonely as anything you'll find in the White Mountains of NH. Driving there will be a challenge in itself, and probably not in line with a standard rental car agreement.

As for activities nearby, you can count on lots of hiking options, but I would forget about water activities. And I doubt that you'll find any horseback riding either. The reason I say this is beacuse this area is so remote, you will not find any tourist oriented businesses or support services. You will have to drive to Prescott or Sedona or Black Canyon City or elsewhere to find these types of diversions and that will be a long slow drive.

The weather in Arizona in October depends on how high you are. It's no longer sweltering in PHX and it's fall with changing leaves at 4,000 feet and higher. Crown King is close to that altitude, so it should be cool and pretty.

If you're looking for a place to get away from it all, this one sounds good. But plan on it being sparse. You'll have to entertain yourselves.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
5,805 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: prescott national forest

Yeah, I wouldn't recommend taking anything but a high-clearance vehicle into the Bradshaws. Very few, if any, of the roads up there are maintained for vehicle traffic.

Lots of hiking, maybe fishing, and you can certainly do horseback riding (if you bring your own horse, of course), but you'd be hard-pressed to find a perennial stream in that area let alone whitewater rafting.

hth

Prescott, Arizona
Level Contributor
295 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: prescott national forest

hola NH, have never stayed at the cabin but have been in the area many times. It's good advice to have a vehicle suited for the rough and narrow FS roads in the PNF. The 52 road up to the towers is a at times steep and rocky trek, but more decent than some others due to the access needed to the towers. You wont find enough water nearby to raft but there are scattered "pools" thru out the area. Fishing at nearby Horsethief Basin Lake can be fun esp with a fly rod. Don't think anyone in CK is renting horses and the closest stable will be in Mayer. Which is 14 miles (yeah... as the crow flies..) and 2 hours east. The weather in october is excellent with fall colors and mild daytime and cool night temps , bring a jacket! Lots of hiking in miles of forest.

Hunting season in that area opens for small game and bear mid oct. If your'e a squirrel hunter, you'll find many tassle earred Aberts.

Nearby Crown King will have all the supplies you'll need, and weekend entertainment as well.

buena suerte and enjoy the wild west.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,591 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: prescott national forest

By coincidence, today's Arizona Daily Star (Tucson) had an article on remote cabins in Arizona:

http://www.azstarnet.com/accent/185531.php

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,591 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: prescott national forest

"3. What other outdoor activites might you suggest? - we were thinking horseback riding, white water rafting, hiking, fishing"

There are no significant water sources near this area. Unless you can find horseback riding in Crown King (none is listed), hiking is what's available. There is definitely no white water rafting anywhere near the area. Even the the streams that are there are small and seasonal. There is a small lake stocked for fishing in Horsethief Basin, south of Crown King. The cabin you mention is north of Crown King and is very isolated. I have topo maps of that area, and can see the roads in the directions given by the National Forest. I would have to say it would be very easy to get lost! The roads from I-17 to Crown King are rather daunting, and it takes at least 2 hours to go about 25 miles. I've been there; it's beautiful, and the roads are "improved dirt." My old VW van does fine in there, but it appears that you would need a SUV with 4W drive to get to the cabin.

I suggest that you take a look at this web site for Crown King:

http://www.crownking.com/index.html

The site also has info about the Bradshaw Mountain Guest Ranch as an alternative for lodging. As far as "supplies" are concerned, don't expect to find much there. You would probably need to take food and other supplies with you.

6. Re: prescott national forest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 19:17