We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stonekeeper road trip

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
91 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Stonekeeper road trip

Hi all

I am planning a road trip from Chicago to Las Vegas via Memphis then back to Chicago.

And will pass through your State.

From my research so far i believe it to be around 5000 miles the whole trip.

Am i optimistic to expect to do it in a fortnight?

Has anyone any views on the best motel chain to stop at each night or do they vary from state to state?

Any advice on places NOT to stay in would be appreciated.

Special Offer
Grand Canyon Helicopter Tour with...
6,547 reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim and Hoover Dam...
5,006 reviews
from US$142.99*
US$224.90
Special Offer
45-minute Helicopter Flight Over the...
496 reviews
from US$276.99*
US$299.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Skywalk Skip-the-Line...
385 reviews
from US$499.99*
US$541.00
northwest Georgia
Level Contributor
844 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stonekeeper road trip

When are you going? I hope you have done a lot of research

using maps and this travel site in order to plan this trip. Sounds

to me like you'll be driving 24 hr. a day! Is there any area you

could leave out in order to have more time to see things along the

way? Let us know a general itinerary and then the experts will be

able to give you some good pointers. Also, be sure and post

your itinerary on the forum of each state that you will be visiting.

Good luck!

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
91 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stonekeeper road trip

The trip is in its infancy at the moment.

Basically my wife is an "Elvis" fanatic so we have to go to Memphis and she wants to see Las Vegas.

We can only come to the USA this once.

I have considered land Chicago fly back from Las vegas.But the return flight is too long. With the car we can get out and walk about a bit more.

Apart from the above two places, anywhere else we get to sightsee at will be a bonus.

The route i have is seven pages long but basically if you draw a triangle from Chicago - Memphis- Las vegas - Chicago that is the route. Distance Approx 4121 miles with 4111 on interstate.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stonekeeper road trip

Hey Stonekeeper, I like that, but better grow wings.

I see you posted on many forums. Probably the easterns will say: Go man! and the westerns will say: It's too far! Western states are much larger than eastern states, that's why.

Maybe try this:

Day 1: Arrive Chicago. Don't stay, road is calling.

Day 2: Chicago-Memphis 9 hours

Day 3: Memphis. One day at least of course.

Day 4: Memphis-Amarillo 11 hours. Don't stop for anything other than fuel and food. Have dinner at the Big Texan. Not the best food but a great experience.

Day 5: Amarillo-Flagstaff. 9 hours. Hotel along R66

Day 6: Grand Canyon NP. Never miss this. Start early, drive to the east entrance, drive east rim, drive to Williams and to Las Vegas

This will take at least 10 hours with the view points.

Day 7: Stay Las Vegas.

Day 8: Las Vegas to Zion NP, visit and drive to Bryce NP. Stay near Bryce. Can take all day with the Zion visit.

Day 9: Bryce-ut12-Torrey-Capitol Reef. Take all day for this amazing drive. Visit Bryce in the morning. Also this can take all day because many options. www.scenicbyway12.com

Day 10: Torrey to Moab. Visit to Canyonlands and Dead Horse Point in the afternoon.

Day 11: All day Arches NP and maybe a riverraft or jeep tour.

Day 12: Moab-Denver-North Platte (NE) 9 hours

Day 13: North Platte-Chicago 11 hours

Day 14: Chicago

Have you considered a route Chicago-St. Louis-Memphis-Vicksburg- Natchez-New Orleans-Birmingham-Chattanooga-Great Smokey Mountains--Nashville-Louisville-Indianapolis-Chicago instead. Also nice and less miles.

Have fun

Tet

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
91 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stonekeeper road trip

Wow tet

Thanks for that. Most helpful.

The route i have is a guideline for me to estimate fuel needs. When we get there i was intending to use Sat nav for the actual route.

i.e punch in Memphis then Las vegas and see where technology took us (probably Canada:~) ).

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
91 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stonekeeper road trip

I will have to stop on the road out of Memphis to ask

"Is this the way to......."

Won't i.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,954 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stonekeeper road trip

If you just use GPS, you will be taking the most direct, and usually, the least scenic, route. You will miss everything you really SHOULD see if you punch in Memphis to Las Vegas.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stonekeeper road trip

The gps system (TomTom, Garmin, Neverlost ao) will lead you to Flagstaff from Memphis, no doubts about that but if she says (it's always a she..) "Make a legal U-turn" be aware, she probably is an Elvis fan and wants you to drive back to The King{:o)-

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,794 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stonekeeper road trip

Tet14, I love the way you included four whole days of Utah in stonekeeper's road trip! I agree 100%!

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stonekeeper road trip

Thank you IlliniTrav. Can see from your posts you're a big Ut fan. So am I. (Although they can do so improvement on their beer)

Tet

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
91 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stonekeeper road trip

Hi again

Thanks for all the input from all the states that have so far. Still some notable exceptions (maybe them are the ones to drive through as quickly as possible:~) )

The respondees so far seem to be getting an idea of what we intend. It is obvious that the initial trip may be significantly different than the trip we complete.

At the moment it still seems to be ;

land Chicago (looking for direct flights from Manchester possibly Glasgow)

pick up car and go to a motel reasonably quickly heading for Memphis. (Tet's advice on not too much travel after flight noted).

We will then head for Memphis

We have now decided to use the sat nav to head for suggestions made on here E.g Rockies,grand canyon etc. Again Tets recommended trip is also printed out and ready for implementation.

Depending on how far west we have got by day 8 we will head north slightly to change interstate to start heading back to Chicago.

I believe i have to take into consideration the time zones, going west to east in USA will i not lose a couple of hours on the return trip.

If fuel is around $2.50 - $3.00 @ 30 mpg i am looking at $400.

Anyone any suggestions to the best car to hire?