We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Las Vegas & Grand Canyon 11th - 14th July 08

Level Contributor
15 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Las Vegas & Grand Canyon 11th - 14th July 08

Hi Continuing on our World Trip, my wife & I will fly to Las Vegas from San Diego for the weekend perhaps taking in the Grand Canyon overnight. I would be grateful for advice on:

1/ flights to Las vegas.

2/ Car hire from Las vegas to Grand Canyon then back to Los Angeles.

3/ Return flights from Las Vegas to Grand Canyon.

4/ Overnight at the El Tovar (south rim).

As you can see we are torn between staying over at the Grand Canyon or just a 'flying' visit. Which is the best option?

The hotels I am looking at in Las Vegas are Signature(MGM) & Bellagio. Any thoughts ?? Not having been to Las Vegas before I have the impression that most of the hotels are loud, busy and artificially themed. Being an English hotelier myself the visit is perhaps just one of fascination.

Any advice would be welcomed.

Thanks

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,046 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Las Vegas & Grand Canyon 11th - 14th July 08

Take the time to drive and stay overnight at the GCNP. El Tovar is the best hotel there, but books many months in advance. Accept whatever you can get on the rim or at least, inside the park.

I prefer the Bellagio in LV. But you're right, they are all loud and busy and themed. However some are classier than others, and Bellagio is a good one.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Las Vegas & Grand Canyon 11th - 14th July 08

I agree with redrox here. I also suggest if you haven't done so to do a search on here there has been a ton of posts on this very subject in the last couple of months.

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
8,650 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Las Vegas & Grand Canyon 11th - 14th July 08

An overnight stay at Grand Canyon is a must. And do try to book at El Tovar, the historic old hotel. (Well, old for the US anyway). If you are a hotelier yourself, you will appreciate it.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Las Vegas & Grand Canyon 11th - 14th July 08

For your LV visit, read the LV forum, you'll get tons of information.

Would suggest you either do a search for your hotel choices (Bellagio gets some poor comments recently), but if you are interested in staying at a nice hotel without gambling & noise, this one is very popular, although I've not stayed there:

www.theplatinumhotel.com/

I'd most definitely stay overnight at the GC!

Jerome, AZ
Level Contributor
799 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Las Vegas & Grand Canyon 11th - 14th July 08

You might enjoy going through the Artisan Hotel in Vegas, even if not staying there. Has one of the best bars in the town, and the theme is eclectic, to say the least. Great pool cabanas, though they are in the shade of the freeway overpass.!

Basic rooms are nothing special, but the suites are very nice. I have never heard traffic noise, even though it is on the freeway.

The Lakes has a superior hotel, way up off the strip, but exceptional for relaxing.

Southwest basically "hubs" out of Vegas, and has tons of flights, and if they do lose your luggage, it usually goes there anyway.;-) Cheap and fast, not like you are missing anything flying on that stretch of desert. You will be in the airport more than on the plane.

6. Re: Las Vegas & Grand Canyon 11th - 14th July 08

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 04:18