We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Flagstaff 2 Albuquerque

Sydney, NSW
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Train from Flagstaff 2 Albuquerque

I need to get from Flagstaff to New York city. I could drive to Pheonix and fly out but I was thinking of taking the train to Albuquerque and flying out from there. Is this a worthwhile train trip? Is there plenty to see on this 6 hour ride or would I be better just driving to PNX?

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
5,686 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Flagstaff 2 Albuquerque

The train to Albuquerque leaves at like 6am and takes several hours. Driving to PHX from Flagstaff would be about 2 hours, more if you hit traffic. Western New Mexico is interesting, but you won't be able to enjoy any of it as you'll be stuck on the train. However, if you drove to Phoenix, you'd be able to check out Sedona on the way down, as well as things in and around Phoenix.

Also look at the flight prices. Since ABQ is a Southwest hub, and Southwest only flies to Islip Airport, far outside of NYC, I would imagine that it would be more expensive to fly into NYC (JFK, La Guardia or even Newark) from there as opposed to Phoenix, which is a US Airways hub and gets Jet Blue service non-stop from JFK.

hth

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Flagstaff 2 Albuquerque

I say driving to phx. While the train is interesting its a 5am departure or something like that and 5-6 hrs. For the money just drive to Phx and the get a flight. Sounthwest airlines is having cheap air fares right now but they don't fly into JFK.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,094 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Flagstaff 2 Albuquerque

I agree. The train ride to ALB is inconvenient and boring. The drive to PHX can be a vacation in itself, especially if you make time to go through or stop in Sedona along the way. And flight options from PHX to NYC will be much more accomodating, whatever your schedule.

Sydney, NSW
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Flagstaff 2 Albuquerque

Thanx guys

It has been very helpful to pick up some local knowledge on this one. Looks like I should check out Sedona too.

5. Re: Train from Flagstaff 2 Albuquerque

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 19:17