We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beeline Highway closed

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tempe
Level Contributor
2,037 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Beeline Highway closed

Just thought I'd let folks know that the Beeline Highway (AZ 87) is closed in both directions between the Bush Highway and AZ 188 due to roadway subsidence.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/111925

We went to Payson via the Beeline yesterday afternoon, enjoyed playing in the snow at the rim, started back, and were detoured onto 188, so the trip back took three hours instead of 90 minutes!

According to the news article, ADOT hopes to have it open again Monday or Tuesday, but I'm guessing traffic will be slow between Strawberry and Rye.

Buckeye, AZ
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Beeline Highway closed

I went up to Payson on Friday night when this occured. It was approximately 1 hour after this happened. I was re-routed thru Globe by Roosevelt lake on up. It took quite a while. The best route to take during this closure would be up 17 North then 260 East back to 87 south. This route nonstop takes 3 hours 9 minutes. The route thru Globe takes 3 hours 50 minutes.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
2,454 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beeline Highway closed

I've learned a lesson with this and a few other closures I've encountered this year -

Call 511 for road conditions before you start a trip!!!

Luckily I did this in Pinetop on Sunday and got home through the Salt River Canyon. Had I not thought to call it would have taken me 7 hours instead of 3:45 to get home. Accidents, land slides, fires - you name it, they happen, and the road closures that come with it!

Safe travels everyone!

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tempe
Level Contributor
2,037 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beeline Highway closed

If we'd known when we left Payson that the road was closed, we would have gone via I17, but once we were on 87 it seemed to make more sense to follow the detour...

London, Canada
Level Contributor
25 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beeline Highway closed

how's the beeline these days? We'll definitely call 511 when leaving Phoenix airport this Saturday mid-day, but just wondering whether it's a good idea to take scenic 88 or alternatively 87 en route to Meterorite Crater and Winslow dinner...thanks a bunch!!!

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beeline Highway closed

Fastest way will be I17 and I40 and south to Meteor Crater. 88 is via Apache Trail and 20 miles of unpaved road (very beautiful though).

London, Canada
Level Contributor
25 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beeline Highway closed

Time vs. beauty. The Apache Trail sounds so good, especially Canyon Lake. Might there be time to do Apache Trail in this? we land tomorrow 11:00, rent vehicle, AT, get to Meteorite Crater say 3:30-ish and Winslow for around 5-ish. (Then head East and South early a.m. for more adventure and beautiful scenery on loop). OR is only way to skip MC that day? Many thanks. Can't believe it's going to be tomorrow!!

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beeline Highway closed

If no delays you may be on the road by 1 pm after customs, immigration, bagage, p/u rental car and the fastest drive to Winslow (La Posada Motel? Standing on the corner..) from Phx via I17 and I40 will be 3 hours. Plus the visit to Meteor Crater adds 2 hours so probably you won't be in Winslow before 6 pm. Not a big deal I guess. If I understand correctly you want to drive back to Phx next day via Payson and Apache Trail?

That easily can be done and it's a great drive. Nice to Payson, along Lake Roosevelt and you'll see vegetation change. Maybe a stop at the new Lake Roosevelt visitor center. Then the drive on the unpaved part of Apache Trail (1 hour-1.15) then a stop at the cafe in Tortilla Flat (see the hanging man) and maybe a stop at Gold Field Ghosttown in Apache Junction. If you want to visit Petrified Forest and the Painted Desert overlooks first and then drive via Show Low and Globe, it will be a long day and a rather strenuous drive but the drive between Show Low and Globe also is scenic esp.the part through Salt River Canyon.

Tet

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
2,454 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beeline Highway closed

Just an FYI for anyone planning to travel AZ87 Beeline Hwy - repairs are complete where the landslide happened, and the new intersection with exit/entrance ramps at Bush Highway has opened. There may be an occasional lane restriction for fine tuning in both areas, but no detours are expected.

Quick and easy drive to Payson!

London, Canada
Level Contributor
25 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beeline Highway closed

Thanks for everyone's help. We'll keep it simple tomorrow and just get off the plane, head North to crater and to stay at La Posada, and we'll do Apache Trail another time b/c otherwise it will be too rushed and we won't be doing that beautiful trail enough Justice. Tet, sorry, in my excitement about leaving tomorrow, I wrote that our loop was South, sorry I meant North. Roughly, it looks like this: (parents, 2 teenagers, one younger)

1. arr Phoenix. meteorite crater, La Posada o/n

2. Petrified Forest drive, Hubbell, then amazing Canyon de Ch. afternoon, Whitehouse hike, hopefully fit in both scenic drives, stay o/n and 4x4 next a.m.

3. quick 4 Corners mon.for kids, then stay @ Gouldings. tour a.m. Mon. V

4. Stay Page. Antelope Canyon (upper).

5. sunset crater, Wupatki stay Sedona 3 nites, jeep tour, hikes, beautiful red rocks

6. backtrack a bit to GC S rim - 2 nites rim. Too bad Hermits closd,but beautiful anyway

7. head for amazing Zion Nat Park (narrows?) and ultra-incredible Bryce Canyon (see Red Rock Canyon on way) (not sure wh hike @ Bryce C). Couldn't get Bryce Lodge first night so doing Bryce second night. hike to base.

8. LV one night, fly out.

Everyone's help on Trip Advisor has been so amazing, the reading over the last number of weeks, so helpful, so supportive, so informative.

I don't know if I've over-estimated in other areas..maybe I have. We're definitely going to do Beeline next time.

New Boston, New...
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beeline Highway closed

aztchr - did you see the panic in my face!!! Saying to myself - dang I wanted to go that way the road less traveled to Sedona!

Be driving it right now if it were 3 weeks from now!! Counting the days!