We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coal Mine Canyon

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Coal Mine Canyon

Hi folks

There was a question on a Dutch forum I could not answer. Hope you can.

Has anybody ever been to Coal Mine Canyon? It's some 15 miles from Tuba City off az264 in the direction of Second Mesa and the question was if you could drive into this canyon with a normal car.

Thanks

Tet

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,392 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coal Mine Canyon

I've never been there. Fotos of it are awesome. My topo maps do not show any passable roads however.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coal Mine Canyon

It looks like its a jeep (aka bad dirt road) here's a link to a decent topo map.

www.topozone.com/map.asp…

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,392 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coal Mine Canyon

Sorry that topo map is somewhere in northern Nevada, not Arizona .... note that I-80 and the Humboldt River are in the south section of it. My book of Arizona topo maps shows a "track" in Coal Mine Canyon southeast of Tuba City which could be accessible with 4-wheel drive but needs local iunquiry, or it could just be a horse trail.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coal Mine Canyon

oopse it did do that didn't it. Stupid thing I asked for Arizona. LOL Ok the one on here calls it Coal Mine Mesa. I'm assumit its that. I would have to say no that you would need 4 wheel drive and probably high clearance. There is also a little "town" on here called Coal Mine Mesa as well. I wish I could send you my good National Geographic topo map.

www.topozone.com/map.asp…

it is monday after all LOL

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,339 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coal Mine Canyon

The chapter house's site has some photos of it. Looks beautiful. coalminemesa.nndes.org/content.asp…

Looks like that region has some interesting history as well. Sort of exemplifies the Navajo-Hopi clash.

But my map doesn't show a road (although it does denote the canyon) and, if there is a road that is possible to drive, I doubt it's legal to drive it without permission from the Hopis, which you probably would never get anyway.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coal Mine Canyon

Thanks guys,

We could not find the sidetracks some years ago and as Colin said, you possibly need a permit. Beautiful area though! Will be for our next trip! Or shall we keep it a secret?-lol- Thanks for the links. I also used Google Earth.

Tet

7. Re: Coal Mine Canyon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2008, 04:23
Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Coal Mine Canyon

Thanks for your post Spm, very helpful and welcome to the forum. Hope this is not your last post.... I presume you didnot drove into the canyon. Thx again.

Tet

Sedona, AZ
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Coal Mine Canyon

Tet:

You presume correctly. I misunderstood. That said, I did not see any road on the floor of the canyon from my viewpoints.

Dank u wel for your nice welcoming.

Spm

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Coal Mine Canyon

Graag gedaan!