We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RV/Weather/Clothes

Christchurch
Level Contributor
652 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
RV/Weather/Clothes

Hi All

Over the last several weeks I have checked out the forums and have learnt heaps about what to see etc. Also a bit on the do's and don'ts of RVing. Now I have a question.

With only a week to go before we fly out to start our seven week adventure I have been watching the weather closely. It is still snowing in some parts!!!!

I am used to packing for wearing layers - here in NZ you can get four seasons in one day easy. But I had not intended bring my winter woollies - but looking at what your weather has been doing AM I SILLY NOT TO PACK THEM. We all have a light jacket and a warmer polo fleece each - put do I bring heavier tops and hat/scarves/gloves etc.

The next part is re-bedding. The RV company hires you a package - great - but when I asked them if we could hire more they said no as it was peak season and they only had enough to go around. So I am bring our sleeping bags. We are used to camping - even out in the low temps - BUT I HATE BEING COLD AT NIGHT - am I mad bringing them or with the way the weather has been - is it a good idea. A lot of the camping sites we are using do not have power so we will not have heating at night. Also before you say buy some - I am too 'tight' with my cash to go out and buy something I already have.

cheers

A very excited 'Kiwi'

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,051 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RV/Weather/Clothes

Our recent chilly weather has been extreme and rare. But it does illustrate the severity of weather that can occur. Your jackets and fleece layers will probably be suficient. But you might want to bring hats and gloves for some of the cold nights that you'll undoubtedly have at higher elevations, even during our summer season.

I'll let other campers weigh in on the bedding issue.

But it might be helpful if you'll post the locatons and areas where you plan to travel.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RV/Weather/Clothes

LOL, the joys of travel planning!

Even though you may be camping without power, you can run your furnace at night. It uses 12v battery power to run the blower, and the fuel is of course propane. Eventually your coach batteries will have to be recharged, this is done by plugging in at an RV park with power. Don't know about your rental unit, but some motorhomes will recharge the coach batteries while you are driving down the road. (Coach batteries are different from the engine battteries.) Also your generator will recharge them when you run it, but you can't between about 10:00 pm and 8:00 am.

Side note here, always run your generator when using the water pump for more than a moment or two, as it tends to zap the batteries pretty quickly.

Winter clothing - it depends on just where you are going? I shouldn't think gloves, etc are needed, but a pair of long underwear each takes up practically no room in a suitcase. Handy at night, too! I'd probably throw in an outer weather proof jacket, but then I *hate* getting wet, lol :-)

Christchurch
Level Contributor
652 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RV/Weather/Clothes

Hi RedRox and Half-Brit

Thanks for the info

Here is a rough out line of our trip

Itinerary

LA – 5 nights (due to kid’s demands for the ‘parks’)

Pick up RV Then –

Head up Highway 1 from LA stopping at night at

El Capitan State Beach – 1 night

Morro Bay – 1 night

Pfeiffer Big Sur – 3 nights (using this as a base to check area out)

Then Sequoia/Kings National Park (3 nights)

Yosemite (4 nights)

Mammoth Lakes (2 nights)

Katherine Landing (1 night in transit as hubby does not want to drive any further)

Grand Canyon (3 nights0

Page (2 nights)

Zion (2 nights)

Bryce (3 nights)

Torrey (1 night)

Goblin State Park (1 night)

Monument Valley (1 night)

Mesa Verde (3 nights)

Moab (3 nights)

Riffle Gap (1 night) – transit stop to allow us to check things out on the way without rushing

Rocky Mountain National Park (2 nights – have been there before and this was on my wish list not hubby’s)

Drop off van – out via Denver to San Francisco for 5 nights – then home.

Everything is booked and paid for so no problems re getting into places (I hope). It is just the weather that I have been concerned about - I was trying to leave winter behind here.

Yes Half-Brit - waterproofs are stand in our day packs.

cheers

Kiwi

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
46 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: RV/Weather/Clothes

If you are trying to miss winter, your a little to far north. I am in Mesa, Az, last week it hit 110, and yesterday it hit 69. This weekend is can snow up to 7" in Flagstaff and one of the coldest I have been was July 4 in Rocky Mountain National Park. I was expecting it in the plains of Kansas in Jan and Feb, but not in Colorado in July. Good Luck.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,051 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: RV/Weather/Clothes

I'll stand by my previous post. Expect cold nights in some of the parks to the north and at higher elevations.

Looks like a great trip though. Drive safely and have a good summer.

Christchurch
Level Contributor
652 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: RV/Weather/Clothes

Thanks guys

Have just finished having the kids help me stuff the extra sleeping bags into the oldest boys huge cricket gear bag - also just throwen in the woolly hats etc.

Also thanks for the good wishes - if you ever make it down under would be happy to help with iteniary etc. Just post on NZ forum - there are a bunch of regulars who are always happy to chip in.

cheers

Kiwi

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,051 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: RV/Weather/Clothes

Thanks for the offer. I was just in AUS/NZ in Jan/Feb of this year. Loved Christchurch. We had one day in the city while our ship was in port. I was actually advised to go there by a former client of mine in FL. I helped Bob & Verity Charles when they purchased their first home in FL in the 80s. He told me that I MUST go to NZ. He was right. I'll be back again some day.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: RV/Weather/Clothes

When you say everything is booked and paid for . . . does that mean you have reservations for your camping / RV spots already? Where are you staying in Bryce?

The reason I ask is that Bryce is very cold - they have over 200 nights a year below freezing, 0ºC !

If you do encounter any areas where it might freeze at night, be sure to unhook your water hose (if you have water hookup), drain it out, coil it up and stow it away. Then in the mornign you will not have hose full of ice - you *don't* want ice to come into your rig's water lines - that's not good, lol!

Christchurch
Level Contributor
652 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: RV/Weather/Clothes

Hi Half-Brit

We wanted to stay inside all the parks - so we made a big effort to make sure we had all the booking opening times listed and were on line when they opened.

For Yosemite we had to go the extra mile - literally. We were away camping at the time in an area with no cell or internet access. My hubby had to get up at 3am and drive for 30 min to a beach we knew had internet signal and sit on the beach with his laptop. So at 4am (our time and 7am PT) he was log on and booking. By 4.05 am when he check how many sites were left - there was none left!

So we are booked into all the camp sites and have paid for most. Thanks for the warning about the hose pipes though. We get freezing frost here - down to -5 deg at time but often -2. So we are used to the frost but had not thought about that. I noted on someone elses posting the talked about 'water tanks freezing'. Is that a possibility and if so and we have no heating how do we stop it.

Our last RV experience was in something a little more primative than this one - but there were no kids then.

cheers

Kiwi

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: RV/Weather/Clothes

It has to get quite cold for a water tank inside a modern RV to begin to freeze . . . my educated guess would be something around 20ºF/-8ºC. If it's getting down that cold, forget the National Parks and head for the nearest RV park with full hookups, lol!

If you run your generator for an hour a day that should be enough to keep your coach batteries up and you can use your furnace at night to keep your motorhome at a reasonable temp inside. If your coach is warm, your tanks will be warm enough. Motorhomes do not have as good as insulation as a home does.

One thing you may notice is that your water heater may make a "roaring" sound at high elevations such as Bryce. It should still work okay, but the propane/air mixture might be affected by the lower oxygen levels.

You probably already know that your grey water tank will fill up very quickly, so with no sewer, you'll all need to use the campground's showers, and don't leave the water running when doing dishes, lol.

Looks like a fantastic trip - have a great time :-)