We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which would you choose? If you weren't a real hiker

New Boston, New...
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Which would you choose? If you weren't a real hiker

Okay I am torn between doing the shuttle hop on hop off tour to see Zion our last morning

or

Making a 10:30 reservation to do the Antelope Canyon Tour on our way out of Utah

As I stated we are not hiker.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which would you choose? If you weren't a real hiker

If you only have one day for Zion I'd do the shuttle hop on and off, or drive Zion tunnel and take the Canyon Trail overlook just on your left hand side after the tunnel coming from Springdale. Then drive to Page but you probably won't get to it 10.30 am. Make that one hour later and start from Zion very early. Personally I rate Zion Canyon higher than Antelope Canyon but of course it's all a matter of personal preference and both places are quite different.

Tet

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which would you choose? If you weren't a real hiker

imho Zion wins hands down. No contest. Spend the time there.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,732 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which would you choose? If you weren't a real hiker

I don't recall your exact itinerary, but I know you're going to be all over the place. If you go all the way to Zion and don't spend enough time to see it, then you will have wasted two days. But on the other hand, you're leaving Zion to drive all the way to Bluff. To do that and not make enough time along the way to stop and visit Antelope Canyon would also be a mistake. Somehow, I think you can do both. If not, then you're guilty of trying to do way too much. It's a long way from PHX to Zion to Bluff...

New Boston, New...
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which would you choose? If you weren't a real hiker

Redrox - we are not going from Zion to Bluff. Like most that come out this way we are doing a 15 night tour - (our own version of the grand circle) staying 2 nights in most places.

- Our last 3 nights before heading back into Arizona will be in Mt. Carmel, UT from there we are heading to the South Rim (for One Night) before going down to Sedona for a couple of evenings stay.

I am trying to decide if instead of going to Zion our last morning for say the morning and early afternoon before heading to the South Rim for the night (4 1/2 Hours Drive from Zion)

If we should just head out after breakfast at the inn and head towards the south rim (which is approx 4 hours from Mt. Carmel, UT)go to Antelope Canyon enroute for a tour then head down for the night at the Grand Canyon.

I'd like to have enough time to enjoy the ride into the Canyon from the Desert View area stopping as much as we want till we get to the Village.

We are not in a rush to get anywhere and daylight is on our side during August. And as I've said before the Journey is part of the WOW factor with all the beautiful scenery drives you all have out there. So perhaps we will do both but I just want to see which people prefer if they could only do one.

Arrive not staying Phoenix, Sedona, North Rim, Bluff, Moab, Torrey, Mt. Carmel, South Rim, Sedona - Fly home from Phoenix driving from Sedona -that is our route in a nutshell!!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,732 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which would you choose? If you weren't a real hiker

Sorry, I got your itinerary mixed up.

New Boston, New...
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which would you choose? If you weren't a real hiker

ROFL - You can't remember everyone's itinerary you give so much advice.

I appreciate everyone's opinions and ideas. I don't think I could of planned as nice of a trip without everyone's input I've gotten from the forums here.

I thank you all.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,220 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which would you choose? If you weren't a real hiker

We were in that part of the country this past April. We needed to make a choice between Zion & Bryce. Although DH likes hiking, I don't. (Walking on footpaths, yes, lol.) After much research, we (I) chose Bryce, due to the unique hoodoos -- unlike anything we'd seen.

We also toured Antelope Canyon. That was most definitely a highlight of our trip. Incredibly unique! The photos you see online are great, but in reality the place is breathtakingly awesome.

I'm sure Zion is quite pretty . . . but in my book there's no question - see Antelope Canyon!

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which would you choose? If you weren't a real hiker

Well, maybe do as I said first post. Drive from Mount Carmel to the Canyon Trail overlook app. a one mile ( 1 hour) roundtrip hike plus the time to drive to the tunnel and the trailhead from Mt Carmel (20 min). Then drive to Page (less than 2 hours and visit Antelope Canyon. Then to GC. How does that sound? You won't be making the shuttle tour but you'll see a beautiful part of Zion in a short time. Maybe a one hour later Antelope Canyon tour though.

Tet

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which would you choose? If you weren't a real hiker

.....and don't forget Page is one hour earlier than Mnt. Carmel and Zion.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which would you choose? If you weren't a real hiker

If you can manage to fit them both in you would have a good day. Antelope Canyon has gotten expensive. Reports put the Navajo's entrance fees at $31 per head this year.