We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best route 66 city: kingman, seligman or williams?

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
19 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
best route 66 city: kingman, seligman or williams?

I will be driving from Las Vegas to Grand Canyon south rim in december, and was wondering which of these cities will be the best on route 66 memorabilia, diners, etc. Thanks for the response.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best route 66 city: kingman, seligman or williams?

I can't say which is best, but I can say don't miss Seligman and the Snow Cap Drive In. www.theroadwanderer.net/RT66seligman.htm

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,380 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best route 66 city: kingman, seligman or williams?

Since you will be driving through all 3 on the way to the Grand Canyon, see them all. I like Williams as there are plenty of places to eat./

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,380 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best route 66 city: kingman, seligman or williams?

Since you will be driving through all 3 on the way to the Grand Canyon, see them all. I like Williams as there are plenty of places to eat./

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,368 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best route 66 city: kingman, seligman or williams?

There's not a whole lot to Seligman and I think that Kingman has missed the boat somewhat on the Route 66 thing, or at least haven't developed it. Williams has quite a few kitchsy restaurants and shops in the theme though.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best route 66 city: kingman, seligman or williams?

I agree with Colin about Kingman. Try the rt 66 route from oatman to Peach Springs to Williams. We have several Rt 66 places here in Williams and tons of good places to eat many home style cooking or bbq.

www.williamschamber.com/index.cfm…

www.americansouthwest.net/arizona/map.html

http://www.historic66.com/

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,113 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best route 66 city: kingman, seligman or williams?

Kingman does have a pretty good Route 66 museum:

http://www.kingmantourism.org/

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best route 66 city: kingman, seligman or williams?

If you drive the old R66 stretch between Kingman and Seligman, Hackberry certainly is worth a stop for old R66 memorabilia. In Seligman some hotels are close to the trains. We had some great dining in Williams.

Troy, MI
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best route 66 city: kingman, seligman or williams?

The Snow Cap Inn is a popular spot in Seligman, but don't try to go there on a Monday. The Snow Cap is closed on Mondays.

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: best route 66 city: kingman, seligman or williams?

I would have to agree with most post here... but if you have the time see them all and go to Oatman first before going onto Kingman... not very far out of the way. If you come down thrugh Searchlight... to Laughlin and across to Bullhead city. Oatman is about 16 miles from there and start off the drive that way (wont regret the extra drive I promise)... I grew up on the old route and actually learned to drive from Kingman to Peach springs :) Grand Canyon caverns are that way too...which are interesting.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best route 66 city: kingman, seligman or williams?

You are right Herakeles, and welcome to the forum but driving via Laughlin and Oatman with a visit to Oatman will add 2+ hours to the most direct drive Las Vegas-Grand Canyon. No direct drive Bullhead City-Oatman (unless you want to take the rough dirtroad) so you'll have to drive south on 95 first and take Oatman road from there. Not easy to find either. Plus the drive on Sitgreaves Pass and days are short in december. Nevertheless, that part of R66 is one of the best imo.

Tet