We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Goosenecks etc

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
483 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Goosenecks etc

Hi

Driving from Kayenta to Cortez via Goosenecks SP, Muley Point,Moki Dugway, Valley of the Gods and 4 Corners.

How much time do we need to spend at each place?

I have allowed

1 hr to drive from Kayenta to Goosenecks SP (1 1/2hrs to look around)

30 mins to drive to Muley Point/Moki Dugway (1hr to look around)

1 1/2hrs to drive through Valley of the Gods

1 1/4hrs to drive to 4 Corners (20mins to take a photo)

then 1 hr to drive to Cortez.

Are these times realistic? If we left early enough would we have time to spend 4hrs at Mesa Verde??

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Goosenecks etc

Most of these places are in Utah and you are on the Az. forum now. I assume you've visited Monument Valley before this drive.

Count on one hour between Kayenta and Mexican Hat. Make a photo stop at milemarker 13 on us163 between Monument Valley and Mexican Hat. Plus make a short stop at "The Hat" just east of Mexican Hat before driving to the parking lot at Gooseneck SP. So count on 1.5 hours before at Gooseneck SP. 30 minutes for the overviews of the Goosenecks were enough for us actually. From Gooseneck SP 30 minutes (but make a stop before driving up!)is maximum to the summit of Moki Dugway and you won't spend longer than 15 minutes for the views. Not a cosy place, you'll see. Then drive those 4-5 miles to Muley Point.(dirtroad). I would take at least half an hour for strolling (careful, no fence and it can be windy) the rim. Personally I prefer the Muley Point overlooks to Moki Dugway. Then drive back from Muley Point, descend Moki Dugway and take the dirtroad on your left into Valley of the Gods. (Also dirtroad, drive slowly). With short stops I would take 1.15 for the drive through Valley of the Gods. From Bluff to 4 Corners 1h15 is a good estimate. You've done your homework and those traveltimes are realistic but in practice it always takes longer (stop, look at the map etc.etc. stop for food/drinks). Also keep in mind it can take 1h15m from Cortez to the Mesa Verde visitor center and imo it's too much to visit Mesa Verde NP same day but it's your trip. You'll be overwhelmed by the beauties on this route so please take your time and try to visit Mesa Verde next day.

Tet

Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,337 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Goosenecks etc

Yes, we said something like what Tet just said on your Utah forum post.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Goosenecks etc

I spent a pleasant half hour at Goosenecks having a picnic lunch, then I was ready to move on. It's an awesome place, just not many views.

Be alert for the road to Muley Point as soon as you get to the top of Moki Dugway. When I went there was no sign. As I was unsure, I drove past it. Coming back, there was a sign marking the road. The views are fine and vast at Muley Point, so don't rush through there.

You can get to Mesa Verde in time to see some of it, but you'll want to go back the next day. The $10 per car entrance fee is good for 7 days.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Goosenecks etc

Yes, Tex is right. At the summit of Moki Dugway the parkingarea is on you left. Take care because it's in a curve of the road. There are gardingrails and a billboard where you can put a sticker (no need for that of course). See the overlooks and if you look to your right now, you'll see the dirtroad to Muley Point. No sign.

Tet

5. Re: Goosenecks etc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 22:24