We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our 15 Night Trip of a Lifetime Adventure - Installment #2

New Boston, New...
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Our 15 Night Trip of a Lifetime Adventure - Installment #2

Day 2 - Our Drive to the Grand Canyon North Rim NP

Breakfast at Boots and Saddles - one word - scrumptious!! Sam was a great host - he makes a sweet breakfast one day and a savory one the next - we were there for the sweet and it was very yummy. Of course I took pictures!

Today we headed up to the north rim via Oak Creek Canyon heading out of Sedona - This is a pretty scenic drive - IT took about 7-8 hours to drive after leaving the canyon because we stopped along the way at Sunset Crater National Monument - I know I will keep using this word but it was an other incredible sight to see - walking along all the lava rock - what a sight it must of been when the lava was red hot flowing along the area. After leaving this area we continued along the Monument onto Waputaki Ruins - It poured as we entered the first ruin - almost felt like someone was telling us to go away but we continued on and it stopped raining. The Indian ruins are very impressive - how hard but simple life must of been back then.

The scenery along the highway in Arizona is beautiful with all the red rock.

Unfortunately I still seem to have high altitude sickness and feel like my head is going to explode and nothing I take seems to help but we travel on - what else can we do. I just keep taking in lots of water and some motrin hoping it subsides.

The roads out here are so different than at home - so wide open you can see forever sometimes but then its so windy on the next stretch you don't know what you will find around the next corner. Its all pretty amazing. So happy Gary had us get a digital camera before we left for our trip.

We stopped at Cameron Trading post for Navajo Tacos for dinner. They are enormous - we should of ordered one and a few other things to try. The fry bread they are on is delicious but I would of preferred a bit more meat rather than beans on them. They were more like baked beans than chili beans. None of our plates looked like we even made a dent in them but we are all full.

After leaving the Cameron Trading post - we booked it up north for the Grand Canyon - North Rim. We made one last stop at Jacobs Lake Inn for cookies and frappes. The cookies are delicious but the frappes seem more like thick soft serve ice cream in a cup.

Needless to say we didn't make it in time for the sunset at the Grand Canyon but the ride in through the forest which is partial burnt is amazing scenery and I have some great sunset shots. It was in fact dark when we finally got to the North Rim. We had to wait till the morning for our view.

As I said earlier we have too much luggage so a porter helped us get our luggage from the car as you can't park close to the cabins - we had a rim view one which was down an incline a little on the steep side. So, we load the suitcases and us on the golf cart - DH has me sit up front - the porter was a young Russian kid - well let me tell you he didn't know how to drive a golf cart. He crashed us into the side of a cabin - saying the brakes didn't work - well that was all I needed to hear and DD too, we said we would walk from there. I was petrified DH and DBF were goners over the rim in the golf cart!!! They arrived at the cabin just after us, thankfully in one piece. The porter just kept apologizing.

I am hoping the headache is gone when I get up in the morning. I am glad it is only me feeling like this because it would be awful if we were all feeling like this.

Day 3 - North Rim of the Grand Canyon

This morning I set the alarm to get up to watch the sunrise in the Canyon – I was the only one that wanted to go watch. It was a bit cool but oh so peaceful on the rim. I grabbed a cup of tea from the Saloon and sat on the left side of the porch. There weren’t many people up and out so early, but those that were got a great view of the rocks changing colors. I sat for a bit of time before heading back to the cabin. DD and her BF were scheduled for a 1 hour rim horseback ride.

They grabbed breakfast burritos at the deli and said they were pretty good.

After their rim ride (which they said was kind of boring) - We did the 23 mile North Rim Scenic route. We went to Angels’ Window, and then took another trail to sit on a bench at the edge of the rim to eat our picnic lunch. The sandwiches from the Deli in the park are delicious. We stopped at a few view points and walked out to the lookout points. Most walks weren’t too strenuous so that was a good thing. We had a great day enjoying the side of the rim.

We returned to the Grand Canyon Lodge so we could watch the sunset. This time of the day was much more crowded out on the porches than this morning when I came out. We couldn’t find a spot for all of us so DD and her BF went to find their own spot. We all enjoy the sunset. After the setting of the sun we had dinner reservations in the lodge dinning room. YIKES – Expensive!! BF tried the Buffalo steak and really enjoyed it – funny I read on the boards before coming here if you are from New England – don’t order fish – well I forgot until my Salmon dinner arrived – never ate such a bland piece of salmon in my life. DH and DD both ordered the rib eye steak and enjoyed them.

After dinner we went back to the room to crash for the evening. Tomorrow we head to Bluff, UT.

I will continue my posting on the Utah forum as that is where our trip continues.

Walnut Canyon National Monument
Historic Sites, Monuments & Statues, Canyons, National Parks
Chiricahua National Monument
Monuments & Statues, Nature & Wildlife Areas
Rainbow Bridge National Monument
Monuments & Statues, Geologic Formations
Wupatki National Monument
Historic Sites, Monuments & Statues, National Parks, Volcanoes
Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,396 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our 15 Night Trip of a Lifetime Adventure - Installment #2

We've been waiting for your story and especially the Utah leg. After all of the planning it would be great to hear it all went well.

We've felt a touch of altitude sickness; never quite enough to slow us down but enough to sympathise with how you were feeling. Hope it subsided eventually.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,580 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our 15 Night Trip of a Lifetime Adventure - Installment #2

Great reports so far... can't wait to hear more.

Sorry you were feeling the altitude.

New Boston, New...
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our 15 Night Trip of a Lifetime Adventure - Installment #2

Thanks for reading our story. It was an amazing trip.

Altitude sickness finally wasn't noticable on the 4th day. But I did notice how the ringing I have constantly in my ears went away completely for the trip then came back as we headed for the airport. I think I need to move out there somewhere.

4. Re: Our 15 Night Trip of a Lifetime Adventure - Installment #2

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 16:20