We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What part of Arizona to visit?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
58 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
What part of Arizona to visit?

I've always wanted to visit Arizona - my husband and I have been considering taking a short trip. Maybe 4-5 days. Where would you recommend staying? We'd probably want to visit (see) the Grand Canyon, but no hiking tours or anything. We really just need a nice relaxing getaway. Good hotel with a pool/spa, nice but not too expensive in a nice area with galleries, shops, parks, etc. Basically, we don't want to travel all the way to Arizona and stay in a "suburb" but a cute area. I'm thinking of a Santa Fe type area but in Arizona. Sorry - I'm very unfamiliar with Arizona, so not sure where to start! Thanks

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,854 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What part of Arizona to visit?

You're describing Sedona. The location is 2 hours north of PHX and 2 hours south of The Grand Canyon NP. Lots of hotel/resort/spa options in all styles and price ranges. You can do a day trip to the GCNP or go up and spend a night (that's my recommendation). Plenty to see and do around Sedona. Read some reviews and scroll through the forums. Also check www.visitsedona.com

Arizona is a big state. It has a lot to offer and a huge variety of attractions and changes in seasons and environments. But for what you said you're looking for, I think you'd love Sedona.

What time of year would you be taking this trip? We do get a change of seasons and winter here is not a good time to be laying around a pool. But then Sedona is not a 'lay around the pool' type of place anyway. Too many other things to do outdoors like hiking and sightseeing and golf.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What part of Arizona to visit?

I would agree that Sedona would be more of the type of area you are looking for. Do some research. www.arizonahighways.com does a lot of articles on Sedona. Also www.visitsedona.com as mentioned can help you plan. It doesn't get too cold can get alittle warm depending on what time of the year you are thinking of going, that will also affect your price.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,230 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What part of Arizona to visit?

The closest thing to Santa Fe in Arizona is Sedona, I also think. Prescott is close, but it's not as charming as it used to be. Maybe a little bit in Flagstaff. I think that Tucson also has some elements of Santa Fe in it, but it's really more like Albuquerque.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
58 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What part of Arizona to visit?

Thank you all for your replies! I will look into Sedona. I have heard it is beautiful so I'll have to read more about it. Thanks so much!!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
58 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What part of Arizona to visit?

Not sure about the time of year yet. I might be over New Years - or it could end up being Spring. Still deciding. We just want a relaxing place yet we want to see the beautiful canyons, rock, etc you imagine when you think of Arizona. We're active people but when we're on vacation we like enjoy nice restaurants, spas, etc and just relax!

I'll look into Flagstaff, etc too -- since those were mentioned as well. I appreciate it.

Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What part of Arizona to visit?

No contest between Sedona and Flagstaff. You expectations would best be met in beautiful Sedona. It would have the most to offer you.

7. Re: What part of Arizona to visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 18:18