We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monument Valley guided tours

London
Level Contributor
350 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Monument Valley guided tours

Have you taken a guided tour - 1 & half hour, all day or overnight - and would you recommend it and why ?

Would you recommend your provider ?

Is it worth booking a tour in advance ?

Thanks,

Ramblesider

Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monument Valley guided tours

We've taken a tour of Monument Valley twice. Once when we were staying at Gouldings Lodge and they provided the tour and the other time was with the Navajo. We enjoyed both experiences listening to many entertaining stories and facts. In both instances we went on a 1/2 day tour.

I don't know what time of year you are planning your visit but the weather could play into how long a tour you might consider.

Of course now they have the new View Hotel open at Monument Valley and seem to have along list of tours which perhaps someone else can enlighten you.

London
Level Contributor
350 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monument Valley guided tours

LovemyAcura, we hope to be in MV either mid-September or mid-October.

How would this affect YOUR choice of tour ?

September temperatures I see have average Max of 81, and Min of 57.

October temperatures average Max at 68 and Min at 45.

Ramblesider

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,563 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monument Valley guided tours

We took the Monument Valley tour about 4 years ago in early November. I have no idea the name of the tour provider. We just drove up to the entrance and booked a 2 hour tour at the booth there.

My husband and I ended up being the only ones on the 2 hour tour, but we found it fascinating. The longer tours will take you into areas where you are not allowed to drive yourself.

Our tour guide was a very pleasant young man who had grown up in the area. I remember that his name was Jerome because I said that was not a Native American name and asked if he had a Navajo name. He laughed and said, "Yes, but I don't remember what it is."

One word of warning, however. At the time we were there, they did not accept credit cards or personal checks. Travelers Checks or cash only.

Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monument Valley guided tours

You shouldn't have temperature extremes in either September or October, so the weather would not affect my choice of a tour.

Have a wonderful trip!

Tucson, AZ
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Monument Valley guided tours

We took a 2 hour tour in June. Make sure you have a hat and sunscreen. We also used Goulding Lodge. It's a tour not to be missed.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Monument Valley guided tours

I went in Sept last year with a photo group (Hunts mesa Photo tour) for 3 days was very fun. Long though. I would recommend in advance as the Navajo guide we used gets booked up and is quite popular.

monumentvalley.com/Pages/english_tours.html

Leave him (Tom Phillips) a message as the cell phone service can be kind of spotty on the reservation.

7. Re: Monument Valley guided tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2009, 08:22