We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Done Florida....now where else can we go?

Bridgnorth, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Done Florida....now where else can we go?

We are a family from the UK that includes teenagers and we have now been to Florida 4 times, done the ‘Disney/Universal/Sea World’ thing and loved every minute of it.

This year we want to go somewhere else in the USA that can offer the same thing; i.e. good theme parks (we love roller coasters – Six Flags is somewhere we like the look of), water parks with scary slides, plenty of good places to eat and plenty of sunshine.

Just like our visit to Florida we would like to stay in a condo and hire a car.

We are considering Anaheim in California but it seems to be dominated by the ‘Disney thing’ (see above)

Has anyone got any other ideas as to a town or area that would suit us?

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Done Florida....now where else can we go?

Not sure why you posted here as Arizona is noted for its natural beauty, not theme parks. However, I will say thast Anaheim and Disney comprise only a small portion of Southern California which has much to offer including of course the requisite sunshine. If you must plan a trip that includes theme parks, you should take a look at the entire LA and the San Diego areas. San Antonio, TX also has some parks, though not on the same scale, and is an interesting place as well. I advise you to research and post your questions in those TA forums.

Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
2,586 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Done Florida....now where else can we go?

You won't find theme parks in Arizona - just beautiful, natural landscapes.

San Diego has their famous zoo, Sea World, and Wild Animal Park. Legoland is further north around Carlsbad and probably too young for your kids. They have some beautiful beaches and other attractions you may be interested in.

A separate trip to LA area would put you in touch with Disney, Universal studio tours and whatever else is up in that area. There is of course, Hollywood and Rodeo Drive - consider a city tour.

If you want variety and have the time split your time between San Diego and LA.

Try posting in the California forums for further information. While many of us consider San Diego our own private playground, it is in reality located in a separate state from us - ha.

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
4,956 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Done Florida....now where else can we go?

Perhaps you might like to start by flying into Las Vegas. Stay someplace like Circus Circus or the Stratosphere. Normally, I wouldn't recommend these hotels as they are at the far North end of the Strip, but in your case I make an exception 'cause they have good rides, including water rides (Circus Circus). There's even a place in Las Vegas where you can even go indoor skydiving. Not sure where it's at, but it's there...

Then, after you get your fill of Vegas, head out and enjoy some nature! Northern Arizona and Southern Utah have all sorts of great places to visit, such as the Grand Canyon, Sedona, Zion, Bryce Canyon, Lake Powell... just to name a few.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,406 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Done Florida....now where else can we go?

Of course Anaheim is dominated by Disneyland. Since 1955 I think. But it's still a great experience.

What time of year is your trip?

You seem most interested in theme parks. Try Six Flags Magic Mountain in Valencia CA north of Los Angeles. If coming in summer, you can also explore the beaches and the coast north of LA.

The "theme parks" in Las Vegas don't compare to Disney or Six Flags.

We do have some of the world's most spectacular scenery in Arizona and Utah, however. I realize everyone is not excited by that.

5. Re: Done Florida....now where else can we go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 23:17