We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Final Itinerary

Nashville
Level Contributor
1,091 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Final Itinerary

This afternoon, I watched a show on the Travel Channel about the Colorado River. 2 weeks from tomorrow, we will be there to see it for ourselves.

After a lot of research and a great deal of helpful advice (some of which I am going to respectfully ignore), I have the final itinerary for our trip. While I understand we will have 2 long days of driving, that really doesn't seem like a big deal. (On last year's trip to Yellowstone, we had 300+ mile drives on each of our first 3 days as we made our way from Denver, to South Dakota, to Cody and still managed to spend 3 hours each at Mt. Rushmore, Custer SP and Badlands NP, stop at Wall Drug and Devils Tower, spend 3 hours at the Cody Museums and attend the Cody Nite Rodeo during those three days. One 300 mile day and one 400 mile day seem doable.)

Here is our plan:

5/25-land in Phoenix around noon and drive to Sedona. Stop at Montezuma's Castle on the way.

5/26-9:00 a.m. Pink Jeep Tour and the rest of the day to explore the Sedona area.

5/27-leave early for the Grand Canyon. Visit the western rim area before checking in at Maswik. Find a good place for sunset.

5/28-Sunrise,explore the Village area after breakfast and check out by 11:00. Leave through Eastern entrance and head to Bryce NP. Stop at Cameron and Horseshoe Bend. Stay at Ruby's Inn. (300 mile day)

5/29-morning in Bryce. Leave after lunch and drive to Zion. Try to get tickets for the 6:30 "Ride the Shuttle with a Ranger". If not shuttle thru park.

5/30-morning in Zion. Check out at noon head toward Phoenix. No set time to arrive there, so we can make a few stops on the way. We will plan to take the alt 89 route. (400 mile day)

5/31-My son and I will go to the 1:00 Diamondbacks/Braves game while my wife and daughter shop. We may have supper at Rawhide in Chandler.

6/1-late morning flight home.

Mesa, AZ
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Final Itinerary

If you are at Cameron at lunch, consider ordering a Navajo taco. Nothing like it in Nashville!

When taking 89A on the return, be certain to stop at Jacob Lake for homemade baked goods. They have the BEST cookies! The lemon zuchini and the gingersnaps are my favorite!

What exactly do you mean by the western rim? Are you in or outside of the park?

Nashville
Level Contributor
1,091 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Final Itinerary

We will be in the park. By west, I was referring to the area serviced by the shuttle to Hermit's rest and points west of the village.

Catlin, Illinois
Level Contributor
834 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Final Itinerary

Hi tntands,

Everyone has to plan the vacation that is best for them. Last year in AZ we put 1600 miles on the rental car in one week and had a great time.

I like your plan. Have a great time and take lots of pictures. When in Cameron, order the small Navajo Taco. It is still too big!

I am looking foward to reading your trip report!

Nashville
Level Contributor
1,091 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Final Itinerary

I will have to try the Navajo Taco and the sweets at Jacob Lake. Thanks for the advice.

We drove over 2,000 miles on a 5 day trip to Houston/Galveston during spring break, so the driving on this trip seems easy compared to that.

I have a feeling that we will return from this trip with future plans to for an extended stay in Sedona. A friend at church told me recently that Sedona is the most beautiful spot he has seen. If it even comes close to Jackson Hole (my personal favorite), then I will want to return in the future.

I will be sure to post trip reports.

5. Re: Final Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 November 2009, 07:28