We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If we're going to Mesa Verde, should we see other ruins?

New York City
Level Contributor
215 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
If we're going to Mesa Verde, should we see other ruins?

I've seen recommendations about stopping to see places like Montezuma's, Wupatki, and even the hike to the Aztec Buttes in Canyonlands. Of course we'd like to see everything, but with a limited amount of time in the trip, I'm wondering if we're anyways going to see Mesa Verde, will all of the others pale in comparison? Are there any of them that will add a unique perspective that we won't be getting at MV?

Thanks in advance!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
61,563 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: If we're going to Mesa Verde, should we see other ruins?

All ruins sites are significant, and all are different from each other. If Mesa Verde is on your itinerary, it will indeed be impressive as it is larger than most other sites. You have to be the one to decide how much you and your kids can absorb about ancient culture before it becomes an overdose.

Mesa Verde is a full day experience, plus the days of travel to get to and from there. Most other ruins sites in AZ, NM and UT are places you can visit in a matter of 1-3 hours. Canyon de Chelly is another one that requires a half day minimum tour plus travel time.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: If we're going to Mesa Verde, should we see other ruins?

I would not want to miss Wupatki NM as an addition to Mesa Verde. Easily accessible and a great place.

Allow a short visit if you can. You can spend years and not see all ancient sites but with your limited amount of time, I'd visit these 2 places.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If we're going to Mesa Verde, should we see other ruins?

You have to remember that these ruins were build by different tribes each with a unique style and history. Do some research on these areas. I would NOT miss Mesa Verde (I worked there for 6 months and still didn't see it all). Don't miss Wupatki. Montezuma is spectacular but you can't go in it.

This is kind of like saying is NYC the same as Phoenix ect.....

Phoenix
Level Contributor
28 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: If we're going to Mesa Verde, should we see other ruins?

Unless you are really into indian ruins, archaeology, etc., probably Mesa Verde will be what you want. Make sure to spend some time really seeing what it has to offer. It is probably the most significant indian ruin in the SW. The second highest on my list, and not so far away is Chaco Canyon in New Mexico. It is off down some dirt roads and so doesn't get the traffic that Mesa Verde and the others get. But that makes it better not having to stand in long lines to see things. Chaco is a really significant complex of ruins.

5. Re: If we're going to Mesa Verde, should we see other ruins?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 December 2009, 05:18