We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

somewhere hot for silly Brits

bucks
Level Contributor
146 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
somewhere hot for silly Brits

hello everybody,

the wife and I want to visit Arizona next year for our 30th wedding anniversary.

We dont mind driving, bit of shopping,,hot tubs , pools and sun, sun sun.!!!

we have walked for up to 4 hours in 'death valley', so we dont mind a bit of excercise!

we also like a few beers and a bit of live music.

Anybody got any ideas?

we just love USA!!!

Thanks for any help

steve

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,825 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: somewhere hot for silly Brits

Well, you didn't say what time of year, and it really isn't hot here all the time.

For starters, here is my online list of things to see and do around southern Arizona (since it seems many of you Brits want to see Tombstone). I have included clickable links to the sights so you can do some virtual exploring:

http://www.mikepintucson.blogspot.com/

If you will be here during the Summer, you might want to make your way to cooler northern Arizona, where you can visit the Grand Canyon, Sedona, and many other wonderful places.

Edited: 23 February 2010, 21:09
Phoenix
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: somewhere hot for silly Brits

Start with a couple of days in Old Town Scottsdale at the Valley Ho, or the W Hotel. Then head up for a few more days (at least) in Sedona with plenty of side trips (one day and a night at least at the Grand Canyon South Rim) to various northern AZ locales.

If you have time, absolutely get down to Tucson, Tombstone and Bisbee. I'd pencil in two days in Tucson and another two days at a B&B in Bisbee.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: somewhere hot for silly Brits

It would be helpful if you tell us what time of year and how long for your trip. Are you flying Phoenix? Maybe Las Vegas?

bucks
Level Contributor
146 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: somewhere hot for silly Brits

hi ya,

yes sorry for not giving enough info!!

probably aug/ sept for 3 weeks

not sure where to fly into, maybe phoenix or vegas, or what else is out there?

we have been to the grand canyon before, but it was only a flight from vegas and lasted about an hour.

i'm sure I read about a trip where you use canoes and a chopper. but i will have to research this.

steve

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,991 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: somewhere hot for silly Brits

You can stop telling people you've been to the Grand canyon. You haven't really been there. A one hour flight from LV only got you to the extreme western end of the 240 mile long canyon.

If you have 2-3 weeks this time plan to spend at least two of those days and an over night stay at the Grand Canyon National Park at the South Rim.

www.grandcanyonlodges.com Book a night right now and plan the rest of your vacation around it.

High temps in Aug/Sept will be in the 80s at the GCNP. Anywhere else in AZ will be warmer. Sedona is 2 hours south. PHX is 4 hours south and Tucson is 5-6 hours south. All have something to offer and will be worth time in your plan.

bucks
Level Contributor
146 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: somewhere hot for silly Brits

thank you redrox,

that is good advice.

I know i needed to start somewhere,

it may sound silly, but i only need a push to get me going and then the holiday planning begins!!

2 day trip to the rim it is then!!!!

cheers mate

steve

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,825 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: somewhere hot for silly Brits

Whatever you decide to do, make your reservations at the Grand Canyon first, and work the rest of your trip around that.

Maybe fly into PHX and drive right up to the GC, if you get in early enough. Spend 2 nights there, then drive to Sedona a week, exploring from there on day trips.

From there, drive to Tucson. You can use my list to figure out what you want to do down here for around a week. Then head to Phoenix for the rest of your trip, since you will be flying out of there.

Once you have your rough itinerary figured out (how many days at each place), we can better help you fill up your days.

bucks
Level Contributor
146 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: somewhere hot for silly Brits

cheers mike,

all taken on board,

the planning starts now.

although got holiday to eygypt and turkey this year already booked.

only 5 hours flight for us!

the special one for us is next year , so will be looking for advice from all you trip advisor experts.

we had a great time last year in the states,

we went to new york, pennsylvannia then miami !!!

cant afford to do the usa every year, sterling too low and wages not good!!!

steve

steve

9. Re: somewhere hot for silly Brits

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2010, 07:16