We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sedona or Flagstaff or both???

ohio
Level Contributor
209 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Sedona or Flagstaff or both???

Two families of 5, so 4 adults and 6 kids (from 8 - 15) are planning a vacation to Arizona next June. We are thinking of staying in either Sedona or Flagstaff. We could split it up but I'm thinking it would be better if we didn't have to move. We are planning a week long trip. Not sure what all we are going to do but we do want to make it to the Grand Canyon (we may chose to spend one night there, do you think that is a good idea or could we day trip it?)

Which area do think would be best for 2 families exploring Arizona?

We will probably be staying at Wyndham timeshares if anyone has any experience with either one.

Heidi

Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
2,403 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sedona or Flagstaff or both???

I would use Sedona as your base for sightseeing. Flagstaff is a short drive from Sedona and I think it would be a big hassle to split up your time between the two locations. You could visit Grand Canyon as a day trip unless you plan to do any lengthy hiking.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,940 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sedona or Flagstaff or both???

GCNP can be done as a day trip if you allot the full day and leave early to get there. Don't try to make sunrise or sunset at the canyon as you would be driving in the dark, very dark, and animals cross the roads.

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
4,984 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sedona or Flagstaff or both???

I would definitely stay in Sedona over Flagstaff. Much more for the kids to day and the GC is an easy day trip or you can stay over one night to experience either a sunset or sunrise.

I am not against Flagstaff at all, but Sedona has so much more to offer for a week for all ages. There are the pink jeep rides, Slide Rock, all the hiking, multitude of restaurants and shopping.

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,279 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sedona or Flagstaff or both???

I'm always surprised when people say there is more to do in Sedona than in Flagstaff, but I guess it depends on what you like.

Don't get me wrong- Sedona is beautiful and I love it, but I think Flag has more diversity of activities.

What kinds of things are your families into? That would help us all make a more objective recommendation.

For the record, I've been inside both the Flagstaff and Sedona Wyndham properties and Sedona's is a clear winner as far as being newer/fresher and better furnished.

ohio
Level Contributor
209 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sedona or Flagstaff or both???

I can only speak for my family. We have never traveled with the other family before. We are pretty active. We hike, explore the towns, go to nature talks, raft trips, etc.

I think the other family is active as well but maybe a little less so. I can see them lounging around the pool for a day or two.

When I am travelling with my children, I try to plan for activities we can all enjoy so the kids are included in pretty much everything.

Thanks for the input about the Wyndhams. Do they both have nice pools? Does one have more room in the rooms since there are a bunch of us? I'm guessing we will be getting 2 two bedroom units.

We are from Ohio do you think the weather in Flagstaff might be better for us in June than Sedona? It looks like it gets to the 90s. That is pretty warm for us.

Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
2,403 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sedona or Flagstaff or both???

Don't compare 90's in Sedona or Flagstaff with 90's in Ohio. I grew up near Dayton and do not miss all that stifling humidity! You will be pleasantly surprised with the weather. I understand the loyalty of the Flagstaff poster taking up for their community :-) but I still feel there is more to do in Sedona in terms of outdoor activities and sightseeing. Your kids will love Slide Rock

http://azstateparks.com/Parks/SLRO/index.html Take cutoff jeans to wear over bathing suits to avoid embarrasing exposure - enough said.

Edited: 31 August 2010, 00:35
West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,279 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sedona or Flagstaff or both???

Sedona has a LOT of outdoor activities to offer. We go there on day trips for hiking fairly frequently and a lot of Flagstaffians do head down the hill (about a 45 minute drive) to cool off in the waters at Slide Rock or Grasshopper Point. Sedona also has a lot of spas and galleries. As far as restaurants, I'm not sure which city has more. We do usually lunch in the area when we are headed down there, but since I live in Flagstaff, I've never spent more than a day exploring the options.

Flagstaff does not get terribly hot all summer long. At 7000 feet altitude, it rarely reaches above mid-80s and that is more likely in July, but also is very dependent on the rainy season (which you won't likely encounter in June, but you may see/hear of some wildfire issues during that month, almost always far enough out of town so as not to be an issue for tourism).

I just think that Flagstaff is a really nice central location for day trips to Sedona, the Grand Canyon, The Petrified Forest and Meteor Crater and maintains its railroad and Rt. 66 heyday charm, especially in the downtown area (which the Wyndham is not, but it's maybe a 10-15 minute drive).

In the summer months, there are family activities in the evenings downtown - Thursdays on the square features live music with local artists and on Fridays there are Movies On The Square- which is like a drive-in movie without the car. Bring a camp chair or blanket, pick up sandwiches or a pizza and sit out and watch a free movie on the big screen with a bunch of other families. It's fun!

There is plenty of hiking in the area amongst the tall pines and plenty of Native American Ruins to keep you busy for a few days. We also have a lively community theater scene, Lowell Observatory (where Pluto was discovered), the Riordan Mansion (preserved founding family's home) and the fairly new Aquaplex where you can take the kids for a dip in the pool with waterslides and a lazy river, plus a climbing wall, while the adults go work out or play a game of basketball.

This is just a short list. More info may be found here:

http://www.flagstaffarizona.org/

As far as the Wyndhams, I can only compare based on what I've seen. The one in Flagstaff looks like it was built in the mid-70s and I was last in it about 3 or 4 years ago. At that time, it had not had an update in awhile, but maybe that has changed. The pool is accessed at the Country Club and it's nice enough. They also have mini-golf, I think.

The one in Sedona, it's probably been over 5 years since I was in it, but at the time, it was more modern and yes, quite spacious. My parents are members and they stayed there. We were only in it for a visit, not overnight. I didn't see the pool or any activities, so someone else will be better at giving you thoughts on that.

Sedona is, without a doubt, stunning and full of natural beauty. Flagstaff is also very beautiful, but in a very different way. It's amazing that two places so different from each other can be so close.

Whatever you decide, I'm sure you'll have a fabulous trip!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,049 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sedona or Flagstaff or both???

Both Sedona and Flagstaff have a lot to offer. Flag is a college town and has a longer history in AZ. It is a major intersection of the 2 interstate highways I-40 and I-17. At 7000 feet it is cooler in the summer and home to generally severe winter weather in the winter.

Sedona is more scenic and smaller but with an emphasis on tourism. The range and scope of lodging and dining options is greater per capita in Sedona than in most other towns anywhere in Arizona.

As a first time visitor to the region, I would suggest using Sedona as a base. The best way to visit the GCNP would be to drive up and stay over night so that you can experience a full 24 hour cycle there including sunset and sunrise. Most visitors can fully explore the park along the 30 miles of the South Rim there in a day or two, including a short hike below the rim. If an overnight is not possible, then it is still easy to do as a day trip from Sedona.

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
326 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sedona or Flagstaff or both???

I will be staying at the Wyndham flagstaff last week of March 2011. I plan on driving to Sedona a couple of days and also to the Grand Canyon for an overnighter. What do you recommend doing in Flagstaff and surrounding area besides visiting Sedona?

Edited: 30 September 2010, 01:07
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,049 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sedona or Flagstaff or both???

March in Flagstaff is still winter. If this year is an indication you will want to be flexible with your day trip plans as late winter blizzards can shut down local roads and highways.

Barring any major storms, the Museum of Northern Arizona is a popular destination and ruins sites at Walnut Canyon and Wupatki are both worth visiting. And the Riordan mansion is a cool historic structure near the NAU campus. Hours have been curtailed though so best to check before going.