We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with vague travel plans

Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
1,553 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Help with vague travel plans

Back from the US for a week and we've started planning next year's trip. :-)

This year we did the long journey from Las Vegas to the South Rim in a day (just in case we never have a chance to return) and although we had a wonderful time realised that we definitely wanted to return and spend a bit more time not only in the GC but Arizona generally.

At the moment we're looking at 4 nights, the first spent in the Grand Canyon Lodge on the North Rim, and then 3 nights elsewhere. As I said plans are rather vague at the moment and I've only just started my research but I suppose we are being rather predictable and thinking broadly of Monument Valley and Sedona.

I really would like the 3 nights to be spent in once hotel/motel and am therefore looking for recommendations on location. Would Flagstaff be an option? We don't mind having a bit of a drive each day as we'd rather do this and have the continuity of a single hotel.

Many thanks.

Edited: 08 September 2010, 21:38
Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
1,553 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with vague travel plans

We've just been looking at distances and we're thinking a few adjustments are needed. Our current plan shows:

One night on the North Rim

One night close to Monument Valley, driving there via Page

Two nights in Flagstaff/Sedona

Cape Girardeau, Mo
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with vague travel plans

Drop off the Flagstaff part of your adjustments and you have it. Sedona is where you want to stay. Next to the Grand Canyon, it is the most highly visited area in Arizona, and for good reason. You could spend a week there and have to return to do the things you did not have time for.

I was going to suggest the North Rim for 1 night and Sedona for 3 since you originally wanted to plant yourselves somewhere and not move around, but if you want to get to MV, then this plan will work. It is a bit of driving, but you said that does not bother you, and besides, the scenery is gorgeous.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,247 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with vague travel plans

Agreeing with SLCF. And if Monument Valley is a must, then you should make your hotel reservations at the View hotel and stay inside the tribal park. The 5 hour drive to MV from GCNP NR is long enough without having to commute another 30-45 minutes from your motel room to where you really want to be. And regardless, it will still be a 4 our drive to Sedona the following day.

Realize that by planning the way you are, you have one full day at Sedona and less than a half day at any of the other stops.

Can you find more time?

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with vague travel plans

Ditto Stl and RR. If you can squeeze in even another day or two, it will make your trip more worthwhile. Definitely spend at least two nights in Sedona, but preferably three. One night at the Rim is ok, but do definitely catch sunset and then sunrise the next day. And yes, stay the the View in MV. It's worth it.

Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
1,553 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with vague travel plans

Thanks for the excellent advice.

As I said our trip is still very much in the planning stage but it seems that we now have half a plan in place and an idea of what we want to do. Nothing is booked up at the moment (still a year away but I know places like the North Rim need to be booked well in advance) so I'll play around with different itineraries and see if I can find an extra day.

Once again many thanks and I'm sure I'll have lots more questions to ask before next year!

Jules

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,247 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with vague travel plans

It is not too soon to book lodging at the GCNP North Rim. In fact, if you wait, the option could disappear. I would book a couple of nights just to be safe. If you have to cancel, it costs you nothing. But if you try to book later, you could be SOL.

7. Re: Help with vague travel plans

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2011, 07:35