We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tucson vs. Sedona in December

San Francisco...
2 posts
Save Topic
Tucson vs. Sedona in December

We are debating between Tucson and Sedona for our vacation destination this holiday season. We plan to drive from San Jose, CA (and perhaps stop at San Diego on the way). Any information on which is a better place to visit during late December - Tucson or Sedona? We plan on spending 4-5 days there. In general, we prefer warmer climes but have heard great reviews about Sedona's natural beauty. Any insights or tips would be helpful.

Special Offer
Grand Canyon Helicopter Tour with...
6,547 reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim and Hoover Dam...
5,000 reviews
from US$142.99*
US$224.90
Special Offer
45-minute Helicopter Flight Over the...
496 reviews
from US$276.99*
US$299.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Skywalk Skip-the-Line...
385 reviews
from US$499.99*
US$541.00
Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,476 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tucson vs. Sedona in December

Sedona will be colder. If a warm temperature is your primary goal, then you should probably come to Tucson.

It would also help to know what you like to do on a trip: outdoor activities (hiking, biking, etc.), shopping, spas/resorts, museums, restaurants?

Also, I'm sure you already realize this but, if you went to Sedona, San Diego is not on the way. It's about 200 miles out of the way.

Funny thing is we went to San Jose last year at the same time. It was chilly and rainy, and my whole "the places in Japantown will be open for sure on Christmas" didn't work out (we ate Chinese), but I still had a good time. I really like SJ and try to encourage people to go there.

San Francisco...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tucson vs. Sedona in December

Colinaz, thanks for your response.

We are interested in hiking, biking, sight seeing, and spas. Warmer temparature is not our primary goal, but it is a factor. We travel a lot...so looking for a really unique experience.

Yeah, I realize that SD is not exactly on the way but we have never been there either. So, may not be a bad idea to spend a couple of days there too.

Hear you on SJ in winter. Bay area is beautiful all year round, but rains make it less than ideal place to visit in December.

Cottonwood, Arizona
Level Contributor
676 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tucson vs. Sedona in December

If you want hotter, Tucson is probably a better choice for you. You do say warmer, and outdoor activities, and in the Sedona area, daytime highs should be in the 50's and with the AZ sunshine, you should be warm enough to hike in a tee-shirt, or golf in a long sleeve shirt.

They are both so different...

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tucson vs. Sedona in December

How much time do you have for the total of your trip?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,723 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tucson vs. Sedona in December

Tucson for warmer temps. Sedona for natural beauty and activities all in a more accessible and tighter radius.

www.visitsedona.com

Cottonwood, Arizona
Level Contributor
676 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tucson vs. Sedona in December

I would disagree with the previous poster, they are both so different and it really would depend on your interests. Tucson has plenty of natural beauty, but very different to Sedona and the surrounding areas.

7. Re: Tucson vs. Sedona in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2011, 05:17