We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Flagstaff to Phoenix

Tampa Bay
Level Contributor
1 post
20 reviews
Save Topic
Travel from Flagstaff to Phoenix

We are spending 1 night in Flagstaff after a river trip. Will then be flying out of Phoenix the next day. Any suggestions on transportation between Flagstaff and Phoenix? Rental car? Shuttle? Train??

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,310 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Flagstaff to Phoenix

Contact Arizona Shuttle or Flagstaff Express for airport shuttle service. One way car rental will be VERY EXPENSIVE and not a good option. There are no trains that run that way

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,300 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Flagstaff to Phoenix

Arizona Shuttle and Flagstaff Express are one and the same now.

http://www.arizonashuttle.com/

We've used them a few times to get our college-aged daughter home. They're reliable and reasonable.

If you want really cheap, Greyhound makes the trip, as well, but I'm pretty sure it will be a longer, less pleasant ride.

Cottonwood, Arizona
Level Contributor
676 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Flagstaff to Phoenix

I am certain the shuttle does a great job, BUT... It does not give you any flexibility to do any sightseing on the way down to Phoenix. You may want to check the one way car rental prices, one never knows, another factor would be to know how many people you are to share the cost. I just checked at a random date, prices started at $135 for a one way way rental which I don't think is that extravagant... (The pricer for the shuttle I believe is $39 per person.)

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,466 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Flagstaff to Phoenix

I agree with RR and FIagTraveler - personally I think it would be silly to rent a car for that much money for just a few hours, unless there are more than 4 people traveling in your group to split the rental cost. If you are flying out that same day, your best bet is just get to Phoenix in plenty of time for your flight. Unless your flight time is at night, you won't have a whole lot of time for sightseeing anyway - especially if you factored in the time to pick up your car rental in Flag, then drop it off in Phoenix, etc. The Arizona Shuttle is your best bet; if you book online you save a few bucks.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,121 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from Flagstaff to Phoenix

Greyhound also has multiple daily routes between the two cities. It's slightly cheaper (although I was surprised how little of a difference there is) than Arizona Shuttle. Then again, it's also Greyhound, which carries its own issues...

A one-way car rental from Flagstaff (the reverse trip is a regular rate, with no drop-off fee through Budget) will run a little over $100 with fees. That does not include insurance and gas though. If you had four people, it would probably be worth it. With three or fewer, I would use the shuttle. I don't particularly like the direct route down I-17 (pretty but somewhat stressful), so that'll save you having to drive that and will cost less.

Cottonwood, Arizona
Level Contributor
676 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel from Flagstaff to Phoenix

I personally like the flexibility of having my own wheeels and I don't think that $50 more is a big deal for that freedom. WIthout knowing how many people and the flight time, it is hard to give concise advice.

7. Re: Travel from Flagstaff to Phoenix

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2011, 08:16